Direct Downloading of Transactions - Various Canadian Institutions

Options
MoMoney99
MoMoney99 Member ✭✭✭
edited November 2021 in All Things Canadian (Mac)
I'm a YNAB user and with the recent price update, I've narrowed my search to [Removed -Solicitation] and Quicken. My question for Canadian users here is how reliable are the direct downloading of transactions into quicken? I don't like manually importing them.

I currently have accounts with TD, Scotia, American Express, Rogers Bank, Canadian Tire Financial and MBNA. I was hoping most if not all of these are available as part of the direct downloading of transactions so I don't have to manually download the transactions file.

However, the last time I did a trial of Quicken, I recall AMEX was not available and I had to import my transactions manually. Can anyone comment if there's been any progress here?

[Removed - Solicitation]

Comments

• Gilles9
    Gilles9 Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2021
    Options
    For me TD works fine with Quicken Connect automatic download of transactions

AMEX Canada, still is manual, ( download QFX and import in Quicken for Mac )

The other FIs you mention I do not use,

What is missing for me in Quicken Connect is also AMEX Canada and Desjardins Credit Union ( QC )
    and for what I can gather CIBC credit card has no Quicken Connect ( Costco cards will be CIBC next year)

You mention [Removed - Solicitation], I have tried it for a few years, their Direct Connect is broader for Canadian FIs, most of them work when they work, but they often need to be reset, and too often I had to chat with [Removed - Solicitation] reps to get it fixed ( I knew all their names ), also if you used Brokerage accounts, security prices only update once a day at night, which is a major inconvenient for me

I am more pleased with Quicken, this is why I dumped Banktivity ( which is more expensive for non US customer, look at the details of their different plans )

I see Quicken is working for more Canadian FIs than a few years ago, but it is slow to come

• MoMoney99
    MoMoney99 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Gilles9 said:
    > For me TD works fine with Quicken Connect automatic download of transactions
    >
    > AMEX Canada, still is manual, ( download QFX and import in Quicken for Mac )
    >
    > The other FIs you mention I do not use,
    >
    > What is missing for me in Quicken Connect is also AMEX Canada and Desjardins Credit Union ( QC )
    > and for what I can gather CIBC credit card has no Quicken Connect ( Costco cards will be CIBC next year)
    >
    > You mention [Removed - Solicitation], I have tried it for a few years, their Direct Connect is broader for Canadian FIs, most of them work when they work, but they often need to be reset, and too often I had to chat with [Removed - Solicitation] reps to get it fixed ( I knew all their names ), also if you used Brokerage accounts, security prices only update once a day at night, which is a major inconvenient for me
    >
    > I am more pleased with Quicken, this is why I dumped Banktivity ( which is more expensive for non US customer, look at the details of their different plans )
    >
    > I see Quicken is working for more Canadian FIs than a few years ago, but it is slow to come

The deal breaker for me might be the fact that I can’t easily use quicken on two computers without worrying about data corruption.

I use my MacBook at the office and iMac at my home office. I want to be able to work on my personal finances no matter which device I’m using and not having to worry about taking certain additional steps to avoid the files and data from being corrupted. It’s a real shame.
  • Stephen Fisher
    Stephen Fisher Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I use QM primarily for investments, and as far as  can tell, none of the CAN investment accounts - and I have them at several institutions - can be automatically updated.  I spend almost 1 day/month updating and balancing. Also there is no automatic deposit for recurring dividends, or interest, which is a big flaw in the system based on my usage. 
This discussion has been closed.