Onestep Update attempting to add online service to closed account

I am a longtime Quicken user and am having a problem I've never encountered.

One of my accounts was closed at the bank. Once all transactions had cleared in Quicken, I cancelled/deleted all recurring/scheduled online payments and then cancelled online services (web connect for this particular account). Next I closed the account. This was my only account at this bank.

About a week after taking the above action, Once Step update prompts me to enter my online ID and password in order to add my accounts at this bank.

Any suggestions to stop Quicken from attempting to add accounts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @lurchchurch

This is an odd issue that some other users have seen. I suggest that you review the information in this LINK and follow the instructions to move the data from the closed account to a new "unconnected account" in Quicken and then delete the old account.  But make sure you have a good recent backup before you do this.

Let me know how this goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• lurchchurch
    lurchchurch Member ✭✭
    Thank you Frankx. The problem was intermittent and does not occur at each onestep update. I am hesitant to follow the work around you referenced since it ultimately leads to deleting the account and data I need for the next couple of years.

I did complete a database validation/repair and since the issue has not occurred after multiple restarts and onestep updates. Hopefully that fixed the issue.

Thanks again!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Hi again @lurchchurch,

I just want to clarify that my suggested solution would not "lead to deleting... the data"  - rather it would have you keep that historical data by moving that to a new unconnected account in Quicken, so the data in the closed account will still be in your Quicken file.

I am glad that it seems to be working now!

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• memurray67
    memurray67 Member ✭✭
    I am having this issue, too. Just started for me.
  • Charles Dong
    Charles Dong Member ✭✭
    edited November 2021
    I also have this problem for two different chase online Ids. Everytime I do one step update, it asks me to add account.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @memurray67  and @Charles Dong

I wanted to check with you to make sure that you are having the same issues as the original poster who initiated this thread.  So:

a) did you have a "connected account" (or accounts) in Quicken that you closed at the bank and then disconnected in Quicken?

b) after the above, are you now getting prompted by Quicken to add (again) the closed account(s)?

c) what is the name of the financial institution?

d) what method of connecting were you using for these closed accounts (Direct Connect, Express Web Connect, or Web Connect)?

Get back to me and we'll go from there.

Frankx

• Charles Dong
    Charles Dong Member ✭✭
    edited November 2021
    I have a credit card account closed at bank. I disconnected it from Quicken (closed account). When doing one step update, quicken asked to add account, I ended up add two accounts (one is just closed CC account, which is still visible on bank web site. 2nd seems to be a credit card account too, but I have no knowledge of that one. Bank web site does not have that one).
    Connection is Direct Connect.
    Bank is Chase bank
    I have two login Ids with Chase. When Quicken prompt to add account, it does not say associated with which one.
    This looks to be a bug on Quicken side. If I do update now on either of the Chase login Ids separately, I don't get Add Account dialog. Only when do One Step Update for all accounts, I get that dialog
  • andrewshih
    andrewshih Member ✭✭
    I'm seeing this issue as of the last week+ as well. Also with Chase and Direct Connect.

Only one Chase login, but I had migrated an account on the Chase side (closed previous and created new account number) and have disconnected the old and connected the new one to Quicken (one step update does sync transactions properly).

When I do a One Step Update and the add a new account appears, when I login, I see the old account and the "Don't add to Quicken" does not take effect.

If I actual go ahead and create two dummy accounts in Quicken, it still does not address the issue. The only difference is after I do One Step Update and enter my credentials, I see all of my accounts with linked Nickname in Quicken and no "new" accounts to add or reject.
  • Maya14
    Maya14 Member ✭✭
    Same issue here. Had a closed account at PurePoint Financial. It has been closed for about 9 months. After the last Quicken update I am now prompted every time to enter the password for PurePoint so Quicken can download/update the account. But the account is closed, and has been closed for months. I am pretty sure it just started to happen with the last Quicken update.

Also another oddity, maybe related, when I do one step update with my Charles Schwab accounts, they now show as "zz Schwab" when the one step update it happening. No idea where the "zz" is coming from, or why, but this also happened at the same time as the need for Quicken to try to access a closed account. The "zz" is NOT part of my account name and does not show anywhere except the one step update dialog box during the update.

I am sure this is a bug in Quicken.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the "closed account pops up during One Step Update" problem ...
    I just read another discussion where they claimed that this would solve the problem:
    Go into Edit Account Details for the closed account and remove the bank name from the field "Financial Institution".
  • > @UKR said:
    > For the "closed account pops up during One Step Update" problem ...
    > I just read another discussion where they claimed that this would solve the problem:
    > Go into Edit Account Details for the closed account and remove the bank name from the field "Financial Institution".

That solved the problem ( I had the same issue) - Thanks
  • andrewshih
    andrewshih Member ✭✭
    I also went into the closed account (one of multiple Chase CCs) and removed the bank name and the issue is now resolved.
  • I am having the same issue. It's been occurring for 3 or 4 weeks
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @davidbyrd

I did some research and have a potential suggestion which might fix your issue. 

This response should work IF you have an (old) bank or credit card account in your file that may have been "connected" in the past, but is not now (i.e. it was "disconnected"  This could be either a "hidden", or a dormant account that you have not hidden. Also, this would also work for an account that is active accounts but one that you no longer want the account to download (where you may have deactivated it).

If there are, I suggest that you go to "Tools" > "Account List" > click on the "Show hidden accounts" box at the bottom left of this window > the click on the "Edit" button for each of those old NFCU accounts, and remove the name of the bank, or credit card provider from, the Financial Institution field.

Then I suggest that you exit Quicken > restart it and try a One Step Update.

Let me know how this goes.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.