Not all Schwab holdings showing up

Options
Indigo
Indigo Member ✭✭✭
edited November 2021 in Investing (Mac)
I reset my Schwab accounts in Quicken Mac to the new system. My checking and savings accounts seem to have transferred OK, but my brokerage account is missing some holdings. They show up in the transactions window, but not in the dashboard or portfolio. I chose the "detailed" option, so it isn't that.
Tagged:

Comments

• Indigo
    Indigo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Looking at this further, the holdings that are missing don't have a green check mark next to "currently held" in the securities window (Window > Securities). However, nothing has changed since I reset the Schwab account. I still hold those securities. Is there are way to change this manually?
  • LarryNolan
    LarryNolan Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @indigo My Quicken Mac is same; missing securities in IRA accounts only. Fixed Income mainly.
  • LarryNolan
    LarryNolan Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Marcus, thanks for the more detailed explanation. Sent you a private reply.
  • Indigo
    Indigo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, Marcus. I also sent you a private reply, but I don't think it is a duplicate transaction or placeholder problem.
  • Indigo
    Indigo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Actually it was a placeholder problem. Look at the earliest date of your holdings. I had "shares removed"... for some reason. Quicken Marcus helped me diagnose. Thanks, QM!
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Indigo and I just exchanged direct messages and it appears the issue was a placeholder problem. I forgot to mention that placeholders always appear at the beginning of an account's history so if you have a lot of transactions they are tough to find.

The way we reconcile holdings within Quicken is to do the following steps.
    1) Click on the Columns button in the toolbar at the bottom of the screen.
    2) Turn on Symbol, Shares In, Shares Out, and Share Balance columns if they aren't currently turned on.
    3) Go to the search box and search for the missing security. The Share balance will tell you how many shares Quicken thinks you have. Make sure it's sorted by date. I would expect it to show 0 shares since it's missing in the portfolio view. This is a good way to reconcile holdings and possibly spot why Quicken thinks a security has 0 shares.
    4) Try the other missing securities to see why Quicken thinks there 0 holdings.

This also helps one spot an Add or Remove Share placeholder that could be causing the missing security issue. Deleting the placeholder will fix the problem. We're aware of this as being an issue but we haven't tracked down exactly why this occurs and it really shouldn't happen because the placeholders will only appear if Quicken's holdings don't match the holdings that the brokerage tells us but we know it happens. 
  • LarryNolan
    LarryNolan Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Too late tonight to check but I think the are some of these ‘placeholders’ in one or more of my problem IRA accounts. Something about shares that meant nothing to me.

Would really like to just go back to a saved Quicken file from 11/6 and reconnect each of the five then update. Any chance that would work? I think I’ve spent enough hours on this mess to ask for this year’s subscription price as compensation IF it all starts working again. Excuse my whining.
  • LarryNolan
    LarryNolan Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Five days later and am waiting to call Support. My five accounts: three have been disconnected and reconnected, duplicate transactions deleted, placeholder transactions deleted and are updating ok, except I get asked each time to do the reconnection process --why?
    Two IRA accounts have gone through the same process but their portfolios each are missing three holdings: 4 CDs from various issuers and two Treasury Notes.

The IRAs are my subject if I am successful in contacting Support today. Followed by the repeating reconnections.
  • bwilner
    bwilner Member
    Options
    Over the last few weeks 8 of my holdings disappeared from one of my Schwab IRA accounts in Quicken. I followed the steps described by Quicken Marcus on 11/17/21. I found that all 8 missing holdings had a "Remove Shares” transaction in the “Type” column (all with a 1/31/16 transaction date) However, after deleting the "Remove Shares” transactions, 7 of the 8 holdings were still missing a substantial number of shares compared to my actual Schwab account. Please help me to resolve these discrepancies.
This discussion has been closed.