Quicken entering extraneous info in memo field

Within the last 6 weeks or 2 months, every time I download and accept my transactions during Update, Quicken is entering info (garbage to me) in the memo field. After accepting the transactions, I have to delete the entries that Quicken placed in the memo field. There is not a setting for this that I can find that allows or disallows these entries from being made. Anyone else annoyed with this?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bank forwards whatever the payee (biller, store, etc) sends as Memo text. Unfortunately, that quite frequently is unusable garbage.
    If you let Quicken automatically create new register transactions from downloaded data, the Downloaded Memo text field is placed in the new register transaction's Memo field.
    The only way I have been able to prevent this from happening is because I always manually record my transactions prior to downloading from the bank. The register transaction always contains either the memo text I want or a "." period but never leaves Memo blank.
    Quicken does not overwrite an existing transaction's non-blank Memo text when matching the register transaction to a downloaded transaction.
  • Ok3wire
    Ok3wire Member
    I too enter my transactions manually before downloading from the bank. I've always used this methodology since I started using Quicken. I started with Quicken for DOS back in the late 80's or early 90's. I started using the transaction download feature when it first became available. Up until about two months ago or so, Quicken never entered anything in the memo field after downloading a transaction and matching it to my manually entered transaction. You are correct in that it does not overwrite anything I placed in the memo field. To be clear, are you saying that you place the "." in the memo field to prevent Quicken from entering anything? Or are you saying that while downloading and accepting transactions, Quicken enters a "." where the memo field(s) are blank?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok3wire said:
    To be clear, are you saying that you place the "." in the memo field to prevent Quicken from entering anything? Or are you saying that while downloading and accepting transactions, Quicken enters a "." where the memo field(s) are blank?
    I'm saying that I place a "." in the Memo field of a manually entered register transaction to prevent Quicken from putting the Downloaded Memo Text into a blank Memo field while matching downloaded transactions.
    I don't want the downloaded gobbledygook in my Memo field.

• BJINNJ
    BJINNJ Member
    Try this:

Use shortcut Ctrl+Shift+N or click Actions Gear in upper right corner of the register you are concerned about. Then select:

Edit Account Details> Online Services Tab> Don’t update memo when downloading > OK

This keeps downloaded memos from your financial institution from going into the memo field. You can vier the downloaded memos field in the register by:

Use shortcut Ctrl+Shift+N or click Actions Gear in upper right corner of the register you are concerned about. Then select:

Register Columns, then select both Downloaded payee and Downloaded memo> Done

I haven't found a way to print the downloaded memos.

I am using Quicken Starter Edition V:R36.38 on Windows 10 Home
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BJINNJ said:
    I haven't found a way to print the downloaded memos.
    Sorry, but this field and a number of others are not part of the report generator engine and cannot be printed.

Thanks for pointing out this new Preferences setting. It's not been publicized enough to make everybody aware of its existence.

This discussion has been closed.