One-step update and cancelled credit card

A recent credit card transaction is probably fraudulent. So Chase cancelled the card and is sending a new one.
One-step update wants to close the account and set the balance to zero. But I need to make a payment, and the remaining balance will carry over to the new card.
I'm not sure of how to proceed. Thanks
Tagged:

Answers

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    In similar cases, in Quicken I've just disconnected the account from downloads.  I've gone to the Account Details and deleted the account number and the customer ID.  

I then re-connect the account for downloads to Chase.  You may have re-authorize on the Chase website.

This keeps all the transactions continuous...but there may be some clean up due to duplicate transactions in the initial download.  

If you're making the payment through Quicken, you may need to re-connect the biller (but you may not need to).  You should be able to make a payment then.  
  • Lanecito
    Lanecito Member ✭✭
    Where exactly did you do the disconnect? The Update dialog does not have these details, and in Accounts I see only the option to delete the account.
    Thanks for this help.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can find the buttons to Deactivate an account in the account's Edit Account Details dialog, Online Services tab. From the account register click the Action gear icon, then select Edit Account Details.
    To reactivate the account please use the Tools Menu / Add account. Pretend you're adding a new account from the bank, but when you get to the list of accounts found at the bank, be sure to click the LINK button to link your credit card to the existing account register in Quicken. If you don't link correctly, you'll end up with a new account register.
    If you must make a payment within the next couple of days, to avoid being late, I suggest you go to the credit card website and initiate a one-time payment from there, to make an electronic debit from your checking account on due date.
  • Lanecito
    Lanecito Member ✭✭
    OK good. I've disconnected the old account, and will finish the process once I have received the new card. Thanks to all.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lanecito said:
    OK good. I've disconnected the old account, and will finish the process once I have received the new card. Thanks to all.

You may not have to wait until the new card shows up in the snail mail.
    Access the bank's website in your browser and see if the new credit card number (or at least its last 4 digits) are already shown there. If they are, try activating the account in Quicken. If successful, rename the account register in Quicken to show the new "XYZ VISA 2345" account number.
  • Lanecito
    Lanecito Member ✭✭
    OK I have my new card and tried to reacctivate the account as instructed (linking to the old account), but in the end I show the old account number, and balances are way off in both checking and credit card accounts.
    Can I dump the whole mess and start fresh?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you think that cleaning up downloaded transactions in your credit card account which are now duplicates of already existing ones won't solve the problem, you can always  restore your Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not exhibit these symptoms.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
  • Lanecito
    Lanecito Member ✭✭
    I had actually done a backup to bring the file up to date. But then with the one-step update, all went goofy with no apparent point where entries were being duplicated or whatever.
    And even if I add a reconciling item to bring the account balance to the correct amount, the one-step update probably won't be having it.
  • Lanecito
    Lanecito Member ✭✭
    Actually, the one-step update worked fine and only added new transactions and did not mess with my balancing the account.
    So at last I'm done. Many thanks to UKR for his help and patience.
This discussion has been closed.