Subscription expired 6 months ago - can't enter Activation Key as "new user"

Hello all,

I have been a long time Quicken user but did not renew my subscription when it expired last year.
I purchased a copy of Quicken from NewEgg but cannot get the Activation Key to work.
At NewEgg I was given the choice of Digital Download or Boxed version. I chose the Digital Download and it did indicate as for New Users only. From what I have read if your subscription expired more than 6 months ago this version would be able to be activated by an existing user.

I get this when I enter the Activation Key...
The product you purchased is for New Subscribers only, and you are an existing subscriber

I was signed in and tried to log out then back in but got the same message.

Any ideas on how to make it renew or what my options are.

Thanks in advance

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @MWD

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having difficulties with your subscription. You were informed correctly. The subscription purchased is for new users and would not work if you are an existing user. I would highly recommend reaching out to the third party (NewEgg) and requesting a refund or exchange for the correct subscription type. 

Hope this provides clarity. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • MWD
    MWD Member
    edited November 2021
    OH, that's not good news.
    I was under the impression that I could use this Activation Code if my subscription was expired more than 6 months.
    This reminds of why I did not renew my subscription last year and why I have been using [Removed-Solicitation] for the past year.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    I thought a "new user" was considered either a real new user or expired user for XX days/months.
    When you log into the Quicken.com website - and review your account -
    what is your current status & expiration date ?

[EDIT] also updated topic title to better reflect the actual Q & A discussion 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• MWD
    MWD Member
    Hello Ps56k2.

Thanks for your response.

I too thought after 6 months one was considered as new all over again.

My Quicken account shows as Expired Jul 01 2020.

In the meantime I have found the workaround of re-installing and using a different Quicken ID which allowed me to proceed and open my existing data file.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

MWD said:
    Hello Ps56k2.

Thanks for your response.

I too thought after 6 months one was considered as new all over again.

My Quicken account shows as Expired Jul 01 2020.

In the meantime I have found the workaround of re-installing and using a different Quicken ID which allowed me to proceed and open my existing data file.

We have all been told that it only takes 30 days past the expiring of the subscription to become a “new user”.  It seems like then Quicken Inc has decided to change that policy.

Note you didn’t have to reinstall, just log out of the existing Quicken Id and then log in with the new one.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • MWD
    MWD Member
    edited November 2021
    Thanks Chris_QPW

I guess that is right.
    As I said, one of the reasons I switched to [Removed-Solicitation] last year.
    I like [Removed-Solicitation] and it does most of what I need; however, it UX is a little annoying compared to Quicken especially after using Quicken for 35 years.

I do know I did not have to re-install Quicken to get it working again but I wanted to put it on a different computer so I figured it would be best to start fresh from there.

I think you are the guy who does the PERLWiz things for Quicken.
    I tried your converter to QIF as part of my Quicken - [Removed-Solicitation] routine and think it is amazing.

thanks for the help
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Quicken Paloma said:  The subscription purchased is for new users and would not work if you are an existing user.
    I guess we need a clarification of what is considered a "new user" -
    since their subscription expired in July 2020 -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, QPW stands for QuicknPerlWiz.  I’m glad you found ImportQIF useful.   Thanks. For letting me know.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken Paloma
    Ps56k2 said:
    I guess we need a clarification of what is considered a "new user" -
    since their subscription expired in July 2020 -

Hello @Ps56k2

A user would be considered new within the following parameters: Never had a Quicken subscription, and any user(s) that has/had Quicken 2017 and prior (discontinued products). 

So if a user had a subscription back in 2019, let their subscription lapse they would not be considered a new user but a returning one. 

Hope this provides clarification as to what/who is considered a new user. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • Quicken Paloma
    edited November 2021
    Hello @MWD

Thank you for the response, although we apologize for the frustration this issue has caused. Please contact Quicken Support and an agent will be able to assist you with your subscription renewal. You will simply need to provide proof of purchase and the appropriate subscription duration from the activation code will be applied. 

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions please let us know!!

-Quicken Paloma
This discussion has been closed.