How do I reorder accounts in the sidebar (Q Mac)

Ron E
Ron E Member ✭✭
I'm trying to reorder my accounts in the sidebar on Mac. Windows was done in Edit Account

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    in QMac, accounts in the sidebar are sorted alphabetically within group. There's no option to change that. So the only workaround is to adjust the names (eg. put a number at the front) to get them in the order you want. If you search in the Idea threads, there's a topic there to vote for the ability to manually re-order accounts.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    Well, I could have sworn there was an Idea topic for this. I just spent way too long searching and didn't find it. Maybe somebody else knows where it is. @jacobs

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    The Idea post about this topic can be found here.

There's good news and bad news. The good news is that you can't add your vote to the idea, because the developers have marked this idea "Planned". That means they accept the premise, agree, and have it on their roadmap to implement this change. Yea!

The bad news: the developers last commented on this two and a half years ago! We have no idea if this is coming next month, in 6 months, a year, or…

In the meantime, one thing I do to keep me from being constantly upset with this is to add a numeric prefix to some of my account names, so I have some -- but not complete -- control over the order. you can't move accounts outside their account group, but you can order them within their account group. So I might have:

1-Marriott Bonvoy Visa
    2-Hilton Amex
    3-TJX Mastercard
    4-Lowes

or 

1-Visa (Marriott)
    2-Amex (Hilton)
    3-Mastercard (TJX)
    4-Lowes

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    @RickO The original topic of the Idea request was for sorting the accounts without groups, but the reason I pointed to the idea is because of the reply from the development team: "We are currently investigating account list customization options, however, these options may be more like enabling custom groupings rather than an alphabetical ‘sort’." I think that points to a broader solution, which should allow custom groups and orders of accounts.

Of course, until we see what they release, we won't know what capabilities are coming. Judging by how they address other issue like this, I'd guess they'll release a 1.0 version which will satisfy some of the wishes, and then iterate it a few times to tweak it to add additional capabilities users will inevitably clamor for. 

Answers

• RickO
    Answer ✓
    in QMac, accounts in the sidebar are sorted alphabetically within group. There's no option to change that. So the only workaround is to adjust the names (eg. put a number at the front) to get them in the order you want. If you search in the Idea threads, there's a topic there to vote for the ability to manually re-order accounts.
  • Ron E
    Ron E Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Rick...Where do I find the area to vote for that change?
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    Well, I could have sworn there was an Idea topic for this. I just spent way too long searching and didn't find it. Maybe somebody else knows where it is. @jacobs

• Ron E
    Ron E Member ✭✭
    Thanks again, Rick…don’t worry about the vote…they’re going to change it when THEY are ready to change it anyway…Happy Thanksgiving
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    The Idea post about this topic can be found here.

There's good news and bad news. The good news is that you can't add your vote to the idea, because the developers have marked this idea "Planned". That means they accept the premise, agree, and have it on their roadmap to implement this change. Yea!

The bad news: the developers last commented on this two and a half years ago! We have no idea if this is coming next month, in 6 months, a year, or…

In the meantime, one thing I do to keep me from being constantly upset with this is to add a numeric prefix to some of my account names, so I have some -- but not complete -- control over the order. you can't move accounts outside their account group, but you can order them within their account group. So I might have:

1-Marriott Bonvoy Visa
    2-Hilton Amex
    3-TJX Mastercard
    4-Lowes

or 

1-Visa (Marriott)
    2-Amex (Hilton)
    3-Mastercard (TJX)
    4-Lowes

• Ron E
    Ron E Member ✭✭
    Thanks Jacobs!
  • RickO
    I did find that idea topic, but that's not what was being asked for. I think the request here is to manually order accounts inside or outside groups. Not exactly the same thing. Perhaps we need another idea topic.
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    @RickO The original topic of the Idea request was for sorting the accounts without groups, but the reason I pointed to the idea is because of the reply from the development team: "We are currently investigating account list customization options, however, these options may be more like enabling custom groupings rather than an alphabetical ‘sort’." I think that points to a broader solution, which should allow custom groups and orders of accounts.

Of course, until we see what they release, we won't know what capabilities are coming. Judging by how they address other issue like this, I'd guess they'll release a 1.0 version which will satisfy some of the wishes, and then iterate it a few times to tweak it to add additional capabilities users will inevitably clamor for. 
This discussion has been closed.