Matured Bond

Options
How do I remove a matured bond from my Schwab portfolio? There is no such transaction code.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @RZD$

Yes there is no such transaction type.  But you should use a "Bond Sold" transaction to record the maturity of the bond for the par value.

Let me know if there are any followup questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @RZD$

Yes there is no such transaction type.  But you should use a "Bond Sold" transaction to record the maturity of the bond for the par value.

Let me know if there are any followup questions.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• RZD$
    RZD$ Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your quick response. :)
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @RZD$

Happy to help!

Frankx

• leonard kearney
    leonard kearney Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    why doesnt quicken do this automatically? when i download (schwab) i get a remove transaction and a depositt transaction. I have to go in - delete both and enter a sold transaction.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @leonard kearney

Actually, the transactions that Schwab provided are the correct transactions. This is because there is no "sold" transaction when a bond matures.  Instead, the bond (actually just the paper document, since it is no longer a "bond" after it matures) is exchanged for the bond's value at maturity.  Think of it as a certificate of deposit from a bank - when it matures you get the original value plus interest - you don't "sell" it.  A corporate bond is similar in "form" as that, just a little different because it is also a market instrument.

Frankx

• leonard kearney
    leonard kearney Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    hadn't thought of it that way, interesting. So how do i categorize the deposit? it is more return of capital than interest
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @leonard kearney

As I noted in my first reply to this thread -  you should use a "Bond Sold" transaction to record the maturity of the bond for the par value.  If the amount received is greater than par value - that would be interest income.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.