Way to Bypass 2-Factor Authentication to run Updates in Background?

My credit Union, "Wellby Powered by JSC FCU" just upgraded their systems and now requires 2-factor authentication.

When I access through my browser, I can click a box so that I don't have to enter the code again.

I run the Quicken update agent in the background that runs daily. This updates my portfolio and transactions in the background so they are there the next time I open Quicken.

Now when the background agent runs, it requests the authorization code in the background and locks up.

The update process works properly when I run it after I open Quicken, but I still have to enter the authentication code every time.

Is there anyway for Quicken to add an option, similar to accessing through the web, that would allow me to enter an authorization code once in Quicken and not have to enter it every time? Some version of trust this device?

The financial institution is Wellby and the connection method is Express Web Connect.

Comments

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Hello @elprice7345

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. To clarify the Multi-Factor Authentications (MFA) are provided by the banks. While there may an option to eliminate the need for a verification code(s) on the bank's website the connections and securities through Quicken are quite different. Therefore, at the moment there is no way to bypass the MFAs. I would recommend contacting your bank's online development team for further assistance and inquiry for the development and implementation of this idea. 

Please let us know if you have any questions or come across any errors. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • elprice7345
    elprice7345 Member ✭✭
    I will reach out to Wellby, but there is still the issue of Quicken locking up.

When the update process runs in the background, it requests the authorization code and then locks up.

At that point, the Quicken app can't be started because the update process is still "running".

The only way to start Quicken after that is to forcibly end the update process from Windows Task Manager and then start Quicken.

The background update process should fail more gracefully when it encounters this issue.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

The background update process should fail more gracefully when it encounters this issue.
    That may be true, but I would not hold my breath waiting for the developers to resolve. In the mean time, I would suggest deselecting the offending CU from Schedule updates and do an Update Now once in Quicken where you should get the MFA prompt.
  • elprice7345
    elprice7345 Member ✭✭
    Excellent idea @GeoffG! I'll try that and report back.
  • elprice7345
    elprice7345 Member ✭✭
    That worked @GeoffG! Thanks for the tip!

I also reached out to Wellby but haven't heard back yet.
This discussion has been closed.