vault not taking my password or letting me change it.

Options
I'm new to the program and spent the entire day loading all my accounts. I wrote down my vault password so I know it's right. It keeps telling me it's wrong and if I try to reset the password by clicking the link next to the password, it does nothing. quicken says they weren't able to remove the password. What now?

Answers

• Weathers89
    Weathers89 Unconfirmed, Member
    Options
    I as well am unable to login to my Quicken. I've never set up a file password, now its asking for file password. I click on the "Password Reset" Link and nothing happens...
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I as well am unable to login to my Quicken. I've never set up a file password, now its asking for file password. I click on the "Password Reset" Link and nothing happens...

That's a totally different problem. If you get prompted for a data file password when none existed previously, your Quicken data file may have been damaged and needs to be restored from the most recent Manual or Automatic Backup created prior to the problem first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not exhibit these symptoms.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tara25604 said:
    I'm new to the program and spent the entire day loading all my accounts. I wrote down my vault password so I know it's right. It keeps telling me it's wrong and if I try to reset the password by clicking the link next to the password, it does nothing. quicken says they weren't able to remove the password. What now?

What password are you getting prompted for?
    • The Vault password
    • The Quicken data file password
    • The password associated with your Quicken ID?
    Three different passwords. Three different problems ...

If you are getting prompted for the Vault password:
    • The Vault contains the passwords to your online-connected Direct Connect bank accounts
    • If the password you enter is not accepted, you can reset the vault. All you will lose is the passwords to the bank accounts which you can reenter at the next One Step Update.
    • To reset the vault click Tools / Password Vault / Reset vault.
    • Remember: the Vault password is case sensitive. "password" is not equal to "Password".
  • tara25604
    Options
    It's looking for the Data File Password. I'm not sure I ever entered one for that. I know it asked to set one for the vault and for the quicken ID, but I don't have one written down for the data file, I thought that was the same thing as the vault.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tara25604 said:
    It's looking for the Data File Password. I'm not sure I ever entered one for that. I know it asked to set one for the vault and for the quicken ID, but I don't have one written down for the data file, I thought that was the same thing as the vault.
    No, sorry, the data file password is totally separate and (should be) different from the Vault Password.
    If you get prompted for a data file password when none existed previously, your Quicken data file may have been damaged and needs to be restored from the most recent Manual or Automatic Backup created prior to the problem first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not exhibit these symptoms.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• tara25604
    Options
    Unfortunately, since this was literally the first time I ever used the program, there is only one copy of the file. I tried to restore it and it just created a separate file that also asks for the password. Is it time to go to Quickbooks, cause I don't want to lose an additional whole day only to not have access to my information? Is there no way to recover this?
  • johnfwk
    johnfwk Member
    Options
    We've used the program for years and it randomly seems to decide when it wants a data file password or if you didn't set one, then somehow it's corrupted. Seems like a software issue to me, however, the standard responses just get posted. Good Luck with it!
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ANYTHING could have corrupted the data file password.  Including, in particular, bad sectors on the hard drive or an unexpected shutdown of Q (PC crash or program crash).

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.