Unable to copy or move transactions between accounts in Mac

rbfabian
rbfabian Member
Just moved from Windows to Mac version. I've mistakenly entered a transaction with 50 split lines under my savings account - meant to record it in checking. Windows version had a "copy transaction" feature that allows you to copy/paste between accounts. Easy fix, copy, paste in correct account, go back and delete the erroneous entry.

I cannot find similar functionality in the Mac version - only duplicate transaction within the same account. Can you not correct a simple mistake in Mac version without manually rekeying all 50 split lines?

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2021
    Easiest way: just drag and drop the transaction from he account it's in to the correct account in the sidebar.

Another way: find the transaction in any of the group account registers (eg. Banking, All Transactions) and change the account listed in the Account column.  
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do you have so many split lines?  Maybe you need to set up an account to enter the individual lines into like a credit card.  Then you just make the payment from the checking account a TRANSFER to the new account.  

For Credit Cards.....you should not be splitting out the payment.
    The proper way is to set up a credit card ACCOUNT and enter the charges into it when the purchase is made and assigning it to a category. Then when you pay the credit card bill you TRANSFER the payment from your checking account to the credit card account (not a category).   Then if or when you download the payment from the bank you match it to the one you already entered.

When you enter the payment in your checking account you put the credit card account name in for the category using square brackets around the name to indicate it is a transfer...like this… [credit card] or newer Mac versions have a separate Transfer column.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yeah, I blew right by the "50 split lines" in my reply. If you are splitting a credit card payment, please take @volvogirl 's advice and set up a credit card account. 

Among the (many) benefits are (1) the ability record and report on each Payee on a credit card. You can't do this using a massive split in your checking account. (2) You can further split a credit card transaction to show, for example, that you bought stuff in multiple categories in a single transaction from a single Payee.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.