Stock Prices not downloading

FrankVerducci
FrankVerducci Member
edited January 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I manually add securities to my Quicken account. However, I find that there are certain stock and mutual funds whose prices do not download when I download the rest of my portfolio. I have to manually update the prices. These are large cap stocks and a very popular mutual fund. Any ideas on how to fix

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    To get a price downloaded through Quicken’s Download Quotes feature the requirements are:
    A) Security has a valid ticker symbol
    B ) Security is checked to download quotes in the security list (Ctrl-Y)
    C) Either the security is 
       1) owned in an account, or
       2) in the watch list (Ctrl-Y)
  • My securities have valid ticker symbols (WFC, CSCO, DODGX) but quicken will not let me add them to my security list when I go to CTRL-Y. I add the symbol and go through the process but it does not get added to the security list. I am using Quicken 2020 for windows and have downloaded the latest software updates
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @FrankVerducci,

Can you clarify a couple of things for us? 

When you say "I have to manually update the prices" do you mean that you have to look-up the prices on the web and then manually input the price, or that you go to the "Security Detail View" in Quicken and click on the "Update" button (which downloads the current price)?

Does you list of securities which don't automatically update ever change, or is it the same securities every time?  Do you always download prices at the same time of day, and do you get different results depending on when you try the update prices function?  Is this "failure to update prices" new behavior or has this been happening for some time period?

Get back to us and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• do you mean that you have to look-up the prices on the web and then manually input the price, (yes, I have to look them up on the web and manually enter the price in my investing tab)

Does you list of securities which don't automatically update ever change, or is it the same securities every time? (yes, it is the same group of securities every time)

I update at different times during the day and always have the problem.

This has been happening since I added these stocks and mutual fund. I added DODGX 3 weeks ago and it never downloaded a price
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @FrankVerducci

Thanks for that information - it is helpful.

It sounds like these securities may not have been completely setup in Quicken.  To fix, I would suggest that you take the following steps, BUT make a backup of your datafile first, just in case:

1) Open the "Security List" in Quicken (shortcut is Ctr+Y);
    2) Make sure the "Show hidden securities" box is checked at the bottom of the window;
    3) Click on the "Mark All" button in the lower right of the window.
    4) Click "Done";
    5) Click on the "Investing Tab" > then click on the "Update" button in the upper right.

If that doesn't fix the issue, get back to us.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My securities have valid ticker symbols (WFC, CSCO, DODGX) but quicken will not let me add them to my security list when I go to CTRL-Y. I add the symbol and go through the process but it does not get added to the security list. I am using Quicken 2020 for windows and have downloaded the latest software updates
    In my experience, that means you already have that security in your list, perhaps hidden.  If you try to add a security with a particular ticker (CSCO) and name (Cisco Systems Inc) and you already have a security with that ticker (CSCO) but with a different name (Cisco), Quicken will not create the new security with the new name.  It does not tell you why it did not. 

So I would pull up the security list, click to show hidden securities, and click the Symbol header to sort by symbol (ticker).  See if you already have a CSCO security (and other others). 

Beyond that, I would be looking at a file validation and repair.   
This discussion has been closed.