having trouble preparing a budget for next yr in quicken

RWEJr
RWEJr Member ✭✭
i have selected my categories to budget from Personal Income and Personal Expenses. however, after i click OK, the Personal Income categories display, but the Personal Expenses categories don not display.

Best Answer

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    In the past, some users have had success fixing these odd budget behaviors with a File > Validate.  Recommend to perform a backup before validating. 

Answers

• Quicken Jade
    Quicken Jade Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @RWEJr, is this on the budgets page that the Personal Expenses categories aren't displaying? If so, please click on "Manage Budget Categories' at the upper right-hand corner and make sure Personal Expenses categories are selected. I would also check and make sure Personal Expenses aren't minimized, if there is a + sign on the left of that section please click it to expand. Hopefully, that helps! 
  • RWEJr
    RWEJr Member ✭✭
    thanks, but i tried done both of these before submitting my post - Expenses categories not showing for budgeting.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you know that it is not necessary to create a new budget from scratch, using a new named budget table every year?
    Quicken can extend the current budget table from this year into next year. Simply advance the Annual View from this year to the next year(*) by clicking the ">" button (highlighted yellow in the picture below) to start the process.

(*) or wait until you start Quicken for the first time next year and you will get prompted
  • RWEJr
    RWEJr Member ✭✭
    thanks, but sorry, this doesn't help - this is the 1st time i am creating a budget in quicken.
  • Scooterlam
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    In the past, some users have had success fixing these odd budget behaviors with a File > Validate.  Recommend to perform a backup before validating. 
  • RWEJr
    RWEJr Member ✭✭
    i'll give that a try - in that order
  • RWEJr
    RWEJr Member ✭✭
    Scooterlam - it worked - thank you.
  • Jan Ingle
    Jan Ingle Member ✭✭
    I created a new budget for 2022 today (on 12/19/21) using the > button to advance to the new year. I made my selection to only duplicate my budget categories. I now have a blank budget to work with but I was not prompted to give the budget a new name. Therefore my 2022 budget will have the same name as the 2021 budget. Is this working as designed? I went to the option to edit the budget name, but since my new budget doesn't name a "new" name, I wasn't able to make any changes. In the past, I had used the budget name to toggle to prior years budgets. I thought about deleting this new budget but I guess it would delete my 2021 budget as well. Help? Thanks.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jan Ingle said:
    I created a new budget for 2022 today (on 12/19/21) using the > button to advance to the new year. I made my selection to only duplicate my budget categories. I now have a blank budget to work with but I was not prompted to give the budget a new name. Therefore my 2022 budget will have the same name as the 2021 budget. Is this working as designed? I went to the option to edit the budget name, but since my new budget doesn't name a "new" name, I wasn't able to make any changes. In the past, I had used the budget name to toggle to prior years budgets. I thought about deleting this new budget but I guess it would delete my 2021 budget as well. Help? Thanks.
    Yes, extending the budget into a new year does not create a new, separate table and does not give it a new name. Budget tables are multi-year by design, so you can flip forward and back between years.
    If your budget table contains the year number as part of the name, e.g., "Budget 2021", you can rename the budget table. The function is a little hidden ... click Budget Actions, View options, Edit Budget Name.
    Excess unused budget tables should be deleted when they're no longer needed.

• Scooterlam
    Use the back / forward arrows to view budget years.

• Jan Ingle
    Jan Ingle Member ✭✭
    UKR and Skooterlam, thanks, I did find the option to edit my budget name. Just curious...since I haven't created a new budget table for 2022, will I still be prompted on January 1, 2022 to create a new budget? Thanks.
  • Scooterlam
    edited December 2021
    Jan Ingle said:
    UKR and Skooterlam, thanks, I did find the option to edit my budget name. Just curious...since I haven't created a new budget table for 2022, will I still be prompted on January 1, 2022 to create a new budget? Thanks.
    If you have an existing budget, as the new year turns, you may likely get this message on opening Quicken...  Clicking OK simply copies all of your budget categories and amounts to the new year.   Just tested this - what I got.

Consider....If you have already built a 2021 budget, in Annual View, click on the "date control" or "right arrow" to create that new 2022 budget.  Quicken will open a dialog and give you some better options or control over how 2022 is built.   
This discussion has been closed.