Kinecta Federal Credit Union - OL-297-A Error Code [Edited]

Kram1028
Kram1028 Member
I am receiving an OL-297-A Error Code when trying to connect to Kinecta Federal Credit Union. I have connected successfully until 5 days ago, at which time I am now getting this error message. Kinecta is advising that their server is online and working fine and state the issue is with Quicken, however per the help documents, as I am able to connect and download transactions from my other accounts, it states the issue is with my bank, but they say its with Quicken. I am unable to reset the account either as a connection cannot be obtained. Any help would be appreciated.

Best Answers

• Kram1028
    Kram1028 Member
    Answer ✓
    I had the same issue with the dates and had to delete them. As of an hour ago, the connection with Kinecta appears to be resolved as I have now been able to download my transactions again into Quickens.
  • MarioP
    MarioP Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I had sent reported this issue to Kinecta through Member Support within my account, and finally heard back after it was already working again. I didn't have to do any of what they suggested, but here's what they said:

Thank you for your message.

This issue has already been reported and we are working with our
    vendor to restore the connection with Quicken. This issue is not
    specific to your account.

We had a couple more reports like yours and we still cannot see any
    attempts that you have made in our logs.

To conduct further research, our Technical Team is requesting for the
    following information:

- Internet Service Provider
    - Date of last successful Quicken connection
    - *Public IP address & IP location

*To locate the Public IP address and IP location, simply copy and paste
    the link below in your address bar and it will show up on your screen
    (this should be done on the device you are failing to connect with,
    and without any VPN).

https://www.whatismyip.com/

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Good luck everyone!

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Kram1028

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. To better assist you more information is needed. For instance, what connection method are you using (Express Webconnect or Direct Connect)? Where is your main/active file stored (external hard drive, cloud-based storage, internal hard drive)? Also, do you have a VPN? 

If you have not already I would recommend following the troubleshooting steps from the Help article linked below. Before starting the process please ensure that you have saved a backup of your current file.

https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-ol-297

Hope this helps. Please provide further information so that we may provide the proper guidance. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • Kram1028
    Kram1028 Member
    I am not totally sure how I am connected, but believe it may be Direct Connect method. When I added the account, there is only one option to choose from to connect to the bank. I am not using a VPN and the file is saved locally on my laptop. I used the troubleshooting steps in the help article already and that did not help.
  • MarioP
    MarioP Member ✭✭
    I have been having the same issue, also for the past 5 days or so. Quicken reports an error OL-297-A stating "Quicken is unable to establish an internet connection" for Kinecta credit union accounts. All other accounts are updating without any issues. The connection type is Direct Connect I have tried resetting the online account but after showing "Updating financial institution information...", Quicken returns an error stating the Account Reset Failed with a note saying "Quicken could not complete the account reset". I have tried this several times over the past few days with the same results.
  • MarioP
    MarioP Member ✭✭
    I have also tried adding an account for Kinecta but this also fails after a minute or so with an error saying "Sorry, we encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)" and "Quicken is having trouble connecting to Kinecta Federal Credit Union".
  • Quicken Paloma
    edited December 2021
    Hello @Kram1028 and @MarioP

Thank you for providing further details. After taking a look at your account(s), I was unable to find any errors. So, in order to obtain a better understanding of the issue and take a further look, could you please try a test file? Before starting the process please ensure that you have saved a backup of your current file. 

To do this please select File >New Quicken File >OK. On the pop-up window type in "test" for the file name and save it to your local hard drive. Once the test file has been created add your Kinecta account(s) only. No other accounts are needed. 

When you have a moment please attempt the steps above and let us know how it goes. Please be specific with any errors that are encountered. 

P.S. if any antivirus software or automatically synced cloud-based storage is turned on please disable/pause temporarily for this process. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • I am encountering the same issue as @Kram11028 and @MarioP. Same error message started about 5 days ago. I attempted your suggestion with a Test file in your previous comment and that resulted in the same "Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)" message with the test file. Some particulars in my case:

1. I am on Quicken Deluxe Subscription.
    2. I am running Windows 10, current build, on an HP that is 2-3 years old.
    3. I had previously been connecting via Direct Connect. When I try to Reactive, I do not receive any option to elect WebConnect, Express WebConnect, or Direc Connect.
    4. When I encountered the issue after a few days, I Deactivated the accounts associated with Kinecta.
    5. In attempting to Reactivate them, I first encountered an inability to get a connection for the Reactivation.
    6. Some time yesterday, I was able to get a connection but 3 of the 4 accounts indicated "Unsupported", so I canceled out of that.
    7. After reading these posts from today, I disabled my VPN (I use the current version of ExpressVPN) and gave it another shot. Prior to that I was getting the connection error, and after turning off VPN I would get as far as the "Sorry. We encountered..." message on the add screen. This occurs both in my main file and Test file.
    8. Also perhaps unique to me, I have two member profiles with Kinecta, and up until a few days ago I was fine with both of them. One has all its account Deactivated, and the other member profile I still have as active on Direct Connect.
    9. One other bit of information, it appears my main file is on OneDrive. I also use Carbonite for offline backup.

Hopefully this additional information helps. I think it is odd that there are at least 3 Kinecta members that all started receiving the same issue a few days ago.

Thanks in advance for helping resolve this.
  • Quicken Paloma
    edited December 2021
    Hello @Joseph Stronks, 

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We appreciate the provided details as well. Could you please move your main/active file out of One Drive and into your local hard drive, please? 

Once the file has been moved to an appropriate location (and backed up), go ahead and run a validation. To do this select File >Validate and Repair File. On the pop-up window check the first box "validate" and click okay. 

After you have run the validation attempt to add/update your account(s) again. Please let us know how it goes and if you encounter the same or different error.

-Quicken Paloma
  • I copied the Quicken file outside of OneDrive into a separate place on my hard drive where there was no backup indicated (from OneDrive or Carbonite), turned off VPN, and performed the Validate and Repair File action. The validation resulted in one error: "Corrected 1 Bought or Shares Added transaction that was incorrectly categorized as a realized gain."

Once complete, I attempted to Reactivate Kinecta Direct Connect on the checking account. While the screen was different, the error was the same: First, there was an error in the connection (new screen, same result). Then on second attempt the result was "Sorry. We encountered an error..."

I've pointed the Quicken program back to my Quicken file under OneDrive for now, and will sit tight on any other suggestions.
  • Haus
    Haus Member ✭✭
    Having the same problems and only with my Kinecta account and issues also started just a few days ago. Sent a desparate plea for info to Kinecta to see if they changed anything in their systems. All of my other Quicken accounts work just fine. At one point in the past using Quicken, I had an issues because Quicken disallowed the use of the @ sign in passwords. I changed the password of my Xceed account and others to use a diffrent special character and it has been working for years. Other accounts still have the same special character and Quicken still connects to them just fine. This all tells me this is a Kinecta issue. Will update is I learn anyting useful.
  • Haus
    Haus Member ✭✭
    Should also add that if you download transactions manually from your Kinecta account and manually import into Q, the trasnaction dates come in with proper month/day, but year was 1921 instead of 2021. Took me a few days to figure that whole fiasco out. Brought this issue to Kinecta's attention as well.
  • Kram1028
    Kram1028 Member
    Answer ✓
    I had the same issue with the dates and had to delete them. As of an hour ago, the connection with Kinecta appears to be resolved as I have now been able to download my transactions again into Quickens.
  • MarioP
    MarioP Member ✭✭
    I created a new Quicken file called test and tried to add a Kinecta FCU account to it. However, Quicken could not find Kinecta or add any accounts. I still get the error saying "Sorry, we encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)" and "Quicken is having trouble connecting to Kinecta Federal Credit Union".

I then opened the usual file and ran Validate and Repair File. That returned a log file with a number of entries. All showed No Action Required. Tried to update the accounts and still not able to connect or update Kinecta. Other accounts are still updating normally.
  • MarioP
    MarioP Member ✭✭
    The issue appears to have been resolved. My Kinecta accounts are now updating again. No clue about why though.
  • User222
    User222 Member ✭✭
    For days, maybe a week, I have gotten the OL-297-A when attempting a download from Kinecta. I have attempted to reset this account, but since OL-297-A is "unable to establish an internet connection", I cannot reset. I can't even deactivate. I just tried again and unlike the other commenters, I still have this problem.
  • jeneumann54
    jeneumann54 Member ✭✭
    I too have this same problem. I changed from Dirtect Connect to Web Express and now I can download but have hundred's of duplicates and can not go backto Direct Connect. Luckly Im working ina duplicate file...Hopwfully this will be address and resolved shortly as i do not want to have to go thru several hundred transaction to weed out the duplicates
  • MarioP
    MarioP Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I had sent reported this issue to Kinecta through Member Support within my account, and finally heard back after it was already working again. I didn't have to do any of what they suggested, but here's what they said:

Thank you for your message.

This issue has already been reported and we are working with our
    vendor to restore the connection with Quicken. This issue is not
    specific to your account.

We had a couple more reports like yours and we still cannot see any
    attempts that you have made in our logs.

To conduct further research, our Technical Team is requesting for the
    following information:

- Internet Service Provider
    - Date of last successful Quicken connection
    - *Public IP address & IP location

*To locate the Public IP address and IP location, simply copy and paste
    the link below in your address bar and it will show up on your screen
    (this should be done on the device you are failing to connect with,
    and without any VPN).

https://www.whatismyip.com/

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Good luck everyone!
  • After having to leave it be for a few days, the issue appears to be largely resolved for me as well. I have to turn off my VPN in order for it to make a connection, which is a minor inconvenience and annoyance I can tolerate. I previously was able to do One Step Update with the desktop VPN on. I had a similar issue with the Kinecta mobile app a while back, and that ultimately resolved itself as well.
This discussion has been closed.