How can I update Financial Institution name on the offline account in Quicken

Mirek
Mirek Member ✭✭
edited January 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I noticed that my offline investment accounts have inconsistent names of Financial Institution, but I could not see the way to correct them
Tagged:

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried editing account details (Ctrl-Shift-E)?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Mirek
    Mirek Member ✭✭
    Of course! There is no Financial Institution Name field in the GUI
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I don't have any offline investments accounts. Can you post a picture of the inconsistent names?
  • Mirek
    Mirek Member ✭✭
    Here you go...
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For each account you wish to change go into Edit Account Details and, in the General tab you will find the Financial Institution Name field. This field is available to be edited for as long as the account is not activated for transaction downloading.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can name an offline investment account as you want...

• Mirek
    Mirek Member ✭✭
    This is ACCOUNT NAME and NOT financial institution. This has nothing to do with my inquiry ;)
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you can see from the screen shot provided this is where you change the name of the account and/or the FI. If you are unable to do from this panel, you may have a corrupted file.
  • Mirek
    Mirek Member ✭✭
    I am quite convinced that you did not understand my question. Please read again and see the snapshot. I am not trying to change the ACCOUNT NAME. I need to update the FINANCIAL INSTITUTION name
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirek said:
    I am quite convinced that you did not understand my question. Please read again and see the snapshot. I am not trying to change the ACCOUNT NAME. I need to update the FINANCIAL INSTITUTION name
    And why, if I may ask, can't you do it?
    On the same screen, as provided by @GeoffG , there's the Financial Institution Name which, under normal conditions, you should be able to edit any time for as long as the account is not activated for downloading.
    How about you show us what you've got in one of your accounts? Send us an image snapshot of the same window.

• Mirek
    Mirek Member ✭✭
    Please see the attached
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh are you using the Canada version?  It might be different.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Mirek
    Mirek Member ✭✭
    Yes, it is Canadian
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you try editing the contact name?  And you don't have the Online Services  tab at the top either.  Wonder if that means something too.   

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Mirek
    Mirek Member ✭✭
    No issue with editing contact Info. The accounts were created many years ago in Home & Business. Since I have moved to Deluxe, as I did't need the features
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    You are showing an Asset account's details. Asset accounts don't have FIs associated with them, at least in editions lower than H&B.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Mirek
    Mirek Member ✭✭
    But... they are displayed in the account list...
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps that was allowed in H&B. I don't have H&B to check.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Mirek
    Mirek Member ✭✭
    Seems like a poor quality software limitation. If database has table with Financial institution name, which is not linked to any other action or activity/property, there should be a GUI, which allows user to change it. Not the end of the world, but poor programming nevertheless.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I just tried to create an asset account with the US version of Quicken HBR and there is no entry for the FI name. I was able to create an offline brokage account that allowed the FI name to be entered.
  • Mirek
    Mirek Member ✭✭
    Understood. But I was attempting to correct the existing accounts. Plus... Brokerage accounts do not come with "simple register", which is another thing I am accustomed to in my investment accounts :-(
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I have no idea how you got FI info applied for an asset account.  I have had assets accounts for decades and none of them have that information.  Your Account List snip is too small for any evaluation on anyone else's part.  I am not questioning your summary; only saying I don't know how you got there.

Poor programming or not, as currently configured, you cannot enter a Financial Institution field for an asset account.  Since you cannot enter the data, you also cannot edit any existing data.  

If you must have a 'simple register' with a financial institution name in that field under your Investments grouping, you need to initially create the account as an offline Banking account, and then change the Intent to Investment.  That doesn't sound too complicated or unreasonable to me.
  • Mirek
    Mirek Member ✭✭
    You make perfect sense! Unfortunately, as stated before an offline banking account does not offer me investment in a lookup table for intent. I wish there was a way to access the database, and make these cleanups via simple query...
This discussion has been closed.