How can I pay a biller with quick pay online if the bill has not arrived.

Before travelling I pay monthly bills ahead of time. Quicken Bill Pay would accept a payment of any amount any time. In Quicken Bill Manager, the payments without bills are entered into the account register (with no error or advice message) and the bills are never paid! Am I missing something? Thanks for your time.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

To avoid missed payments I recommend you logon directly to the biller's website and authorize them to direct debit (aka PAC Draft, Autopay, APS) all future payments from your checking account or a credit card. The biller will make an electronic debit on the due date and you don't have to worry about being late, ever.

In Quicken just record a scheduled reminder that does not execute as an online payment into your account register on or before the Due Date and before you download transactions from the bank or credit card containing the debit transaction. That will allow Quicken to match your register transaction to the downloaded data and not cause any further issues.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

To avoid missed payments I recommend you logon directly to the biller's website and authorize them to direct debit (aka PAC Draft, Autopay, APS) all future payments from your checking account or a credit card. The biller will make an electronic debit on the due date and you don't have to worry about being late, ever.

In Quicken just record a scheduled reminder that does not execute as an online payment into your account register on or before the Due Date and before you download transactions from the bank or credit card containing the debit transaction. That will allow Quicken to match your register transaction to the downloaded data and not cause any further issues.

• This sounds like a good solution. It does, however, make me a little unsure about the value of Quicken Bill Manager. A little disappointing to me. Thanks very much for your prompt reply!
  • markhood
    markhood Member ✭✭
    It's a workaround and IMO does dilute the value of Bill Manager. And the workaround doesn't apply if you have a bill with a varying amount each month, like a utility bill.
This discussion has been closed.