Eliminating CUSIP Number

Options
beepyoyo
beepyoyo Member ✭✭
When I download my brokerage statement each transaction contains the CUSIP number followed by the security name. I want my register and list of holdings just to include the security name. Is there a way for me to edit the transaction once so that the software will automatically make the edit the next time I download a transaction with respect to that security? (The alternatives are (1) I manually enter all transactions (yuck) or (2) I download the transactions and manually edit the names each time I do a download (also yuck).)

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ctrl-Y to bring up the security list.
    Rt-click on  the security name.  Choose Edit.
    Edit the security name to anything you want (not otherwise in use)
    All prior transactions and all future transactions downloaded will use that security name within Quicken.   
  • beepyoyo
    beepyoyo Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the response. The problem I have is as follows: Because of the issue, I previously manually entered the transactions. That is, if, for example, I received a Microsoft dividend, I manually entered in my Quicken register a transaction showing a dividend from "Microsoft." If I now download a brokerage statement in a month in which I've received another Microsoft dividend, the register will show a dividend from #123456-Microsoft (assuming that's the CUSIP #). "#123456-Microsoft" will be added to the Security List. The software appears not to allow me to change "123456-Microsoft" to "Microsoft" because I already have an entry for "Microsoft."
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you have two securities in your security list ("#123456-Microsoft" and "Microsoft") both of which have transactions associated with them, you first need to eliminate that duplication.  Choose one, and edit all the transactions in all accounts to reference that chosen one.  Obviously if you have ten transactions of one and 100 of the other, you would choose the 100 and edit the 10 transactions. 

• Once you are down to only one in use, delete the other security. 
    • If necessary rename that remaining security as you desire (Microsoft).
    • If that security is "Matched with online security" (Edit Security Details), uncheck that box.  Then at the next opportunity, when the brokerage downloads info for their security #123456-Microsoft", you'll be able to associate their version to your "Microsoft". 
    Going forward from there, you should not have that problem anymore.
  • beepyoyo
    beepyoyo Member ✭✭
    Options
    Will give it a try. Thx so much for your help.
This discussion has been closed.