Setting the category fields for a credit card payment

Options
bjl1954
bjl1954 Member
If I had 2 accounts, one checking account named "check01" and one credit card account named "credit01" and also one category named "ccpay". Say there is a $100 payment transaction from the checking account to the credit card account.

What should go into the checking account transaction's category field, "check01", "credit01" or "ccpay"?

What should go into the credit card account transaction's category field, "check01", "credit01" or "ccpay"?

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I would discourage use of the "ccpay" category.

What should go into the checking account transaction's category field, "check01", "credit01" or "ccpay"?

[credit01]

What should go into the credit card account transaction's category field, "check01", "credit01" or "ccpay"?

[check01]

But with those two answers, note that as soon as you create the first of those, the second will also be automatically created in the other account.  Those are known as transfer transactions.  They are linked together. The brackets are required.

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I would discourage use of the "ccpay" category.

[credit01]

[check01]

But with those two answers, note that as soon as you create the first of those, the second will also be automatically created in the other account.  Those are known as transfer transactions.  They are linked together. The brackets are required.

This discussion has been closed.