How to tell Quicken the stock name changed and correct my Portfolio holdings?

Options
sue.estey
sue.estey Member ✭✭
ICON (the ticker) had a reverse split and added "NEW" to the stock name. Quicken thinks this is a different stock. I sold the stock after the name change. Quicken still thinks I own the shares with the old name in my Portfolio and includes the market value in my net worth. It also includes the new name with a negative market value. I no longer own it under either name. The ticker did not change.
Any solution?

Best Answer

• Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi there, @Sue

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to update us on this issue. We apologize for any confusion or trouble, though I am glad to hear that you found a workaround for this mix-up.

Unfortunately, if the security is coded as a "new" security, the program doesn't necessarily have the background to know that these are related. In the future, however, if you run into this issue, there is a simple method to Merge these securities together - giving Quicken the memo that they're one and the same.

Note: Before you make any significant changes in your Quicken file such as what we are about to do, I strongly advise that you Save a Backup. (You can do this by navigating to File and then Save a Backup.)

To merge securities, please navigate to Window and then select Securities. This will populate a list of all of your securities. From here you may search for (in the top right) the securities you would like to merge and then highlight them both. Next, select the Merge Securities option at the bottom of the window and select the Security Name and Symbol that you would like to proceed with. Confirm this change by selecting Merge. This will update Quicken that these two are really the same security and hopefully save some headache in the future. 

If you have any further questions or need any additional support, please reach back out so that we may assist you further. Thank you!

-Quicken September 

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sue said:
    ICON (the ticker) had a reverse split and added "NEW" to the stock name. Quicken thinks this is a different stock. I sold the stock after the name change. Quicken still thinks I own the shares with the old name in my Portfolio and includes the market value in my net worth. It also includes the new name with a negative market value. I no longer own it under either name. The ticker did not change.
    Any solution?
    Hello Sue,

I know these kinds of matching issues in Quicken can be confusing and frustrating. Thank you for reaching out to us at the Quicken Community with this matter. Are you able to change the ticker symbol by going to 'Window' and then to 'Securities'? Normally you would double-click the security after going to the list from that menu. Perhaps you are asking if there is a faster way to change the ticker symbol for the stocks?

Thanks, 

Quicken Jared 
  • sue.estey
    sue.estey Member ✭✭
    Options
    As I wrote, "The ticker did not change." I seem to have fixed my problem by "Removing shares" with the old name and Adding shares with the new name, and entering my basis for the new name. I also entered the stock split. I don't understand why Quicken doesn't pick that up when it downloads transactions.
  • Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi there, @Sue

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to update us on this issue. We apologize for any confusion or trouble, though I am glad to hear that you found a workaround for this mix-up.

Unfortunately, if the security is coded as a "new" security, the program doesn't necessarily have the background to know that these are related. In the future, however, if you run into this issue, there is a simple method to Merge these securities together - giving Quicken the memo that they're one and the same.

Note: Before you make any significant changes in your Quicken file such as what we are about to do, I strongly advise that you Save a Backup. (You can do this by navigating to File and then Save a Backup.)

To merge securities, please navigate to Window and then select Securities. This will populate a list of all of your securities. From here you may search for (in the top right) the securities you would like to merge and then highlight them both. Next, select the Merge Securities option at the bottom of the window and select the Security Name and Symbol that you would like to proceed with. Confirm this change by selecting Merge. This will update Quicken that these two are really the same security and hopefully save some headache in the future. 

If you have any further questions or need any additional support, please reach back out so that we may assist you further. Thank you!

-Quicken September 
This discussion has been closed.