Continue to Lose Budgets after accepting download transactions

CMRater
CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
Continue to Lose Budgets after accepting download transactions and working in investment areas.  Not sure if these are related to budget data loss.  In any case would be nice to know if this is on Quicken's radar!
Quicken User Since - 1991

Comments

• hmday
    hmday Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am having the same problem
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Guess we need more to register this problem before Quicken will address this ongoing issue.

Hey Quicken, how about acknowledging please.
  • scampsrp
    scampsrp Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem. Last night (12/2) I was doing updates on investments and reviewing reports and updating tax planning information and when I went to look at the budget (which I should have 3 yrs worth) they are all gone. Is asking me to "Get Started" setting up a budget as though I never had one. Hoped it would be back today but no luck. I need this for year end, please fix asap!
  • scampsrp
    scampsrp Member ✭✭
    Since this issue now (starting 12/3) I can't get into Quicken. A pop-up window (9 of them) ask for my Quicken ID Password but they are all blank. I close them all out and Quicken is now frozen as well so I get a "ding sound" every time I try to click on something in it . It is basically dead so I have to kill it with Task Mgr to get out. I performed the Mondo Update per Quicken support but nothing changed. Interestingly is showed I had R1 whereas the latest version is 37.37. No way I had R1 after all these years (17).
  • scampsrp
    scampsrp Member ✭✭
    I resolved my issue by opening a backup from a day earlier (11/30) than the last Quicken update (12/1 in my case). Opened up just fine and no pop-up asking me to enter my Username & Quicken ID password. I performed my downloads again and all seems to be good so far.
    On another note, I also had another Quicken data file for my Mom which opened with no problem (before I did my fix). I did get the pop-up window for ID & Password but everything worked OK, so go figure. I did not have to reinstall the R37.37 as it showed already installed on both data files.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I have found the only way to protect against this software bug is to back up rather frequently.  I back up several time per session after I see quicken take some time to accomplish a task.  Essentially hold my breath when I click on Planning/Budget tab to see if it is still there.  This is really pitiful. 

I get great Validate reports, but the issue persists.  I have talked to quicken "experts" one of whom had me do a file copy, which used to work fine.  But now they strip all the bank links out so you have to reconnect to everyone.  I have 40+ accounts with 10+firms.  After doing all that, did not solve the issue and created new problems.  Eventually went back to old back up and recreated budget.  Was working great for 2-3 weeks, then started to happen again.

I have seen others with this problem.  Wish they would post to bring the issue to the forefront.  Come on Quicken.  How hard would it be to address this ongoing reliability issue??!!

User and former promoter for 30 years!
  • scampsrp
    scampsrp Member ✭✭
    Wow, your issue is more dire than mine. I do a backup daily just because I am afraid of losing everything. Hate to say it but I initially thought things were better before their cloud/subscription service but now I worry everyday. Like you said, how hard can it be to clear up these issues. Quicken has been around long enough to put some priority on these issues.
    Good luck
  • I have had this issue for several years and it happens many times when I am updating the file so I use cntrl-B a lot!
    I did find that using my new Surface Pro 8 with Windows 11 seems to 'fix' it in that I haven't seen it lose the budget yet over the last 2 days I have been using this machine. Maybe a coincidental fix or it'll happen again once I am using it enough? I'll let you know.
  • anotherJMS
    anotherJMS Member ✭✭
    This has been a longtime issue. Hopefully Quicken will address this issue, It is very frustrating to go through the whole budgeting process just to have it disappear. Also, it would be great if you could change the budget amounts on the annual graph and not just the annual view. I remember Microsoft Money allowed you to do this and it was very helpful. Please fix the long time bug first though!
  • scampsrp
    scampsrp Member ✭✭
    One thing I now see I forgot to mention is that when I went back one (1) day before my logon issues with the Quicken ID fiasco (which did fix that problem).....it also returned my 3 yrs worth of Budgets and my Planning information back as well.
  • itvera
    itvera Member ✭✭
    Similar issue, budget is reverting back to a previous day after I update transactions.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    CMRater said:
    Continue to Lose Budgets after accepting download transactions and working in investment areas.  Not sure if these are related to budget data loss.  In any case would be nice to know if this is on Quicken's radar!
    Hello CMRater,

I can see how the loss of something like a budget in this manner can be troubling. Thank you for reaching out to us about this issue, and I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

I was wondering how many budgets you have been creating in the same data file, and I also wanted to know if there had been any power interruptions while you were running Quicken recently. You could try opening a completely new 'test' file and attempt to create a budget then download transactions in there, just to see if this issue replicates itself across data files, but **do not** do this if you have any Charles Schwab accounts in either data file.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • itvera
    itvera Member ✭✭
    @quicken> @"Quicken Jared" said:
    > Hello CMRater,
    >
    > I can see how the loss of something like a budget in this manner can be troubling. Thank you for reaching out to us about this issue, and I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.
    >
    > I was wondering how many budgets you have been creating in the same data file, and I also wanted to know if there had been any power interruptions while you were running Quicken recently. You could try opening a completely new 'test' file and attempt to create a budget then download transactions in there, just to see if this issue replicates itself across data files, but **do not** do this if you have any Charles Schwab accounts in either data file.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

I am having the same issue. If I just open Quicken the budget is fine, once I do the One Step unpdate it changes all the budget data. I only have 1 budget.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for responding Quicken Jared,
    Sorry for the delay in responding, I just noticed your reply.
    I dare only maintain 1 budget to keep it simple for the software.  No power outages to blame.
    I also stopped mobile usage as this seemed to trigger budget losses, although the problem persisted.  I also notice as some others have mentioned that investment tasks can also trigger budget losses.  I would be happy to work with you to isolate issues assuming Quicken is truly interested in addressing this extremely frustrating matter.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just lost budget again.  Was Exploring Portfolio by security values from a 7 Months ago.  Got the info I wanted but lost budget.  Among what may me a number of causes, clearly quicken loses budgets during moderate tasks in the investment area - Sadly.  I am not a programmer, but this may be a memory allocation flaw.  I have 32 mb of ram, so total ram should not be an issue for me.
    Quicken Jared, please take note.  I would appreciate hearing back that this software flaw has been acknowledged and has been escalated to the point of problem solving.
    Thank you.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    In case Quicken is listening, I have found by repetition that changing my investment view from by accounts to by security is a sure way to lose the budget.  I imagine that this is a heavy lift for Quicken software causing it to lose connection with the budget.  Fortunately I knew enough to be using a restore copy of my file so I have still have my budget in tact.  Since I know that I am not the only one with this frustration, I am curious why Quicken is so silent on the matter???  Even to know that Quicken is not interested would help me determine how to proceed.
This discussion has been closed.