Debits and credits are reversed!

I frequently download Quicken .qfx files to keep track of my Truist Bank accounts on my home computer. For the last week or so, the transactions from my VISA card have been reversed—credits were listed as – and debits are listed as +. I have to manually correct each entry, which then makes my home Quicken total match the Truist online total.

This strange behavior does not occur with my Truist checking account or any of my other credit cards—credits are +, debits are -, and the results match without any changes needed.

I'm using the latest version of Quicken (6.4.5) on a MacBook Pro M1 Max running macOS Monterey 12.1.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello, @Charles Campbell.

Thank you for reaching out to us to report this strange error, though I apologize for the trouble. If you go into your Account Settings, what is the account type listed as?

You may check this by selecting the account with the error and navigating to the Settings Gear in the lower righthand corner of your register, or by navigating to Accounts in the menu bar and selecting Settings. Does the account type show up as a Credit Card? If the account type is mismatched, we may see anomalies with the balance.

Please check this, correct it if necessary, and let us know the results so that we may assist you further if necessary. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

-Quicken September
  • Thanks for your prompt reply. The account type is Credit Card. When I checked my balance this morning, the new transaction was reversed again... Thanks.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your prompt reply. The account type is Credit Card. When I checked my balance this morning, the new transaction was reversed again... Thanks.
    Hello Charles Campbell,

I am sorry that you are still experiencing this. Is there any chance that you would have recently received a refund of any kind through Truist? It is possible that there is a debit balance on the account.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • Good thought... but no. I checked the account online again to make sure.

I have also contacted the bank, which thought it was a Quicken problem (naturally)...

Their tech suggested making a copy of the account and then attempt to validate the copy, but check the incorrect transaction as incorrect and make the correction--and hope that future transactions stay corrected. Does that make sense to you? I haven't done it because I thought I'd be better off taking my lead from you...

Thanks for the help.
  • Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello, @Charles Campbell!

Thank you for reaching out with your update - though I apologize that you are still dealing with this issue. I see where the rep was going with that, however, those instructions are Windows-specific. In the Mac version of the program, we do not have an equivalent to the Validate & Repair option that we have in our Windows version.

Have you tried Disconnecting and Reconnecting or Resetting Connection for this account? If something is wrong with the connection then perhaps refreshing that connection could resolve the issue.

Now, before you perform either of these processes, I would advise that you Save a Backup. (You can do this by navigating to File and then Save a Backup.)

• For either, you will need to highlight the account we want to troubleshoot in your accounts list
    • Access your Account Settings - This can be done by going to Accounts in the menu bar and selecting Settings or by clicking the Settings Gear in the lower righthand corner of your register. 
    • Select the Downloads tab.
    • Select Disconnect Account to completely disconnect the account from the Financial Institution. 
    • Once the accounts are disconnected, please navigate to the Plus (+) sign in the upper lefthand corner (or Accounts > New > [Account Type])
    • In the bank list, find your Financial Institution and continue.
    • A sign-in page should appear - Input your credentials and then follow the prompts to continue linking your accounts.
    Note: Pay special attention to the Action column when your account pulls up to make sure that that you link it to your original account (the one with the full history) instead of adding it as a new account, otherwise you’ll end up with duplicate accounts.
    • Alternatively, select Reset Connection in the Downloads tab
    • A sign-in page should appear - Input your credentials and then follow the prompts to continue linking your accounts.

These are both steps that I would advise taking if you haven't already. Once you have tried these steps, please let us know if you notice any changes so that we may assist you further if necessary. Thank you!

-Quicken September
  • I'm not ready to declare total victory, but it appears that Disconnecting and Reconnecting has done the trick! The program re-downloaded all the previously incorrect transactions, but this time the credits and debits were listed correctly. I had to delete my previously corrected transactions, but that only took a few minutes. I'm going to stress out that credit card for the next few days to see if the problem recurs. Thanks a million for your help and Happy New Year!
  • Quicken Jared
    I'm not ready to declare total victory, but it appears that Disconnecting and Reconnecting has done the trick! The program re-downloaded all the previously incorrect transactions, but this time the credits and debits were listed correctly. I had to delete my previously corrected transactions, but that only took a few minutes. I'm going to stress out that credit card for the next few days to see if the problem recurs. Thanks a million for your help and Happy New Year!
    @'Charles Campbell' ,

I am so heartened to hear that the issue seems to be resolved, and we appreciate that you chose to check back in and update us on your progress. Feel free to let us know if you notice any other issues, and a Happy New Year to you, as well.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared
  • Quicken Jared
    @'Charles Campbell',

I am so heartened to hear that the issue seems to be resolved, and we appreciate that you chose to check back in and update us on your progress. Feel free to let us know if you notice any other issues, and a Happy New Year to you, as well.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared
  • Quicken Jared
    edited January 2022
    "Charles Campbell"  

Thanks,

Quicken Jared
  • Quicken Jared
    @Charles Campbell ,

Thanks,

Quicken Jared