Removing old data

Options
Deane
Deane Member ✭✭
I have Quicken 6.5.1 Deluxe. I started using Quicken on 12/1/1994 (28 YEARS) and I currently have almost 22,500 transaction in my database. Is it worth while to keep or get rid of old transactions (maybe keeping 10 years) and still not jeopardize any of my current balances and accounts?

Answers

• Deane
    Deane Member ✭✭
    Options
    I too much too much?
  • Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello, @Deane.

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question! I personally would not recommend deleting old transactions (though that is my personal thought process - others may disagree). If you are concerned about file stability or file size, I would suggest instead saving backups and archiving this file for historical purposes and then creating a new file - especially considering how long you have had this file. Perhaps a new file for the new year? :)

If you'd really like to get rid of your old data and adhere to this file specifically, I would strongly recommend saving a backup - preferably multiple in different places just in case you ever needed to or wanted to access this older data.

I hope you find this helpful! If you have any other questions or require support, please reach out as we are always happy to help. Thank you and have a wonderful night!

-Quicken September
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have over 31 years of transactions in Quicken Mac.  No issues whatsoever.

If you want to prune your data file, you'll have to enter a new starting balance, delete the old transactions, break any transfers you've created.  And that's just from cash based and credit card accounts.

For investment accounts, you'll lose any cost basis for any investments you've made over the years.  You'll have to add ADD transactions to add in the deleted shares of any security you now own but you removed.  And once again you'll break any transfers in or out of those accounts.

In my opinion, if it isn't broke, there's no reason to fix it.  If your file runs fine, leave it alone. 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I have over 54,000 transactions. It's not a problem with the current modern database technology. As others have said, keep what you've got. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.