Category groups not showing up in budget, only "Personal Expenses"

I am trying to create a budget that includes categories in multiple groups I have created. On the "select categories to budget" window I have selected categories from those groups. Those categories are not showing up in my budgeting window. The only categories I see to budget are from the "personal expenses" default group.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Best Answer

• KTubman
    KTubman Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Issue resolved. I had Groups that contained both income and expenses. When I split those (creating new groups for income and for expenses, can't use the old group) it worked as expected.

Answers

• KTubman
    KTubman Member ✭✭
    Sorry, I have a subscription to Home & Business, windows.
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    In the categories to budget dialog, when you select your newly created category group, you see nothing (no categories) in the window.  See image below that shows my custom category group and the categories I reassigned to it from Personal Expenses.

If you don't see categories in this custom group (above), then are you sure you have reassigned those categories from Personal Expenses to your new custom group?  Just checking  :)

• KTubman
    KTubman Member ✭✭
    Thanks. No worries on asking a basic question. I am certainly not beyond a basic mistake. In fact, I suspect it is something basic I'm doing wrong now.

In this case, when I select my custom groups on the "Select Categories to Budget", I DO see, and have selected some categories.
  • KTubman
    KTubman Member ✭✭
    And here's the category list, showing that I have assigned these categories to the Group.
  • Scooterlam
    Hmmm... Budget might not be liking a Category Group and a Category to be named the same - Jewel of the Isle?   I came across this some time ago - an oddity using same names.  I'll search the forum for this post to see if it is what I am thinking.

Its strange too that you have same categories assigned to two different category groups.  Didn't think this was possible.  If Jewel of the Isle was assigned a tax line for rental properties, how does it show under its own Category Group, in the other image?  Or are these two different time periods where you changed some things?
  • KTubman
    KTubman Member ✭✭
    Interesting observation. I can try changing one of the names and see if that matters. I almost answered that another custom group isn’t showing up either, but it may have the same issue. At least you’ve given me something to check. I will also search more on the forum for the post you reference. I did spend some time searching before I chose to post my question and I didn’t see anything. I’ll look again though now that I have a few more keywords I can use.
  • KTubman
    KTubman Member ✭✭
    I renamed the custom group. Same result. I did change the name then quit and restart Quicken. Oh well, I thought you had a really good idea.
  • KTubman
    KTubman Member ✭✭
    Could it be that the categories not showing up are business categories? Only Personal Expenses is showing up in my budgeting.
  • KTubman
    KTubman Member ✭✭
    OK, it appears it's something to do with the fact that I made my own categories rather than using Quicken's standard ones. I need to investigate how I created them and if I did that all correctly.
  • KTubman
    KTubman Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Issue resolved. I had Groups that contained both income and expenses. When I split those (creating new groups for income and for expenses, can't use the old group) it worked as expected.
  • Scooterlam
    KTubman said:
    Thanks for reporting your resolution!   I did not see that you had income and expense comingled under a category group, in your images.  Although I did notice you using exp* for your subs.  I've run into that sort of strange-ness before.  Anyway glad to see it resolved for you.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Even though I strongly recommend not putting income and expense categories in the same category group, it should be possible, not sure what the bug is.  Here I have added "test" as an income category:

And right clicking on the Category group name (in this case Variable Expenses) gives this menu that allows controlling where this category group shows up (in the income section or the expense section) since it can't tell where to group it based on it being all income or all expense categories.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • KTubman
    KTubman Member ✭✭
    Thanks Chris. Can you please tell me what page you are on to get the choice of income/expense/ignore when you right click on the group? I can't seem to find that.

I agree it's not a good idea to mix income and expense. That's how this all started for me. I'm trying to clean things up as I finally decided to do the right thing and upgrade to home & business rather than just using work arounds.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The one you see above is on the Budget tab/Graph View, but there is a similar one for Budget tab/Annual View.

Note that in this case only Ignore is shown because I took out the income category, and as such it isn't a mixed category group.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.