Why did USAA account not archive for 2021

Cindy
Cindy Member ✭✭
Almost all of accounts archived property when closing out 2021; however, a few accounts kept random entry whereas USAA saved all of 2021 transactions. Why

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Cindy Chandler

You didn't indicate what kind of account "USAA" is, but I assume it is an investment-type file.  If so, the reason that account still has all its transactions after archiving is that Quicken doesn't archive investment-type accounts because that historical data is needed for Quicken to calculate performance results, like gain/loss, return on investments, etc.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Cindy
    Cindy Member ✭✭
    Sorry about that. No, the USAA account was a checking. It also happened with another bank’s checking account but with this one, about 10 or so transactions from 2021 did not archive.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Cindy Chandler

Okay - the other rule about archiving - is that transactions which have not yet cleared the bank, will also not archive.  I suspect that that's what you are seeing.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Cindy
    Cindy Member ✭✭
    No Frank, all these transactions have cleared the bank. 42 USAA transactions over the year failed to archive. Some were Edward Jones transactions, some split mortgage or auto loans. A couple of transactions were simple credit card payments. But in reviewing what you said, I checked the balancing side of the credit payments and they had not been reconciled on both sides of the transaction ... only from the payment account. The ANB transactions had cleared but there were only 2 of them. One which was an investment account, the other again to that credit card mentioned earlier. I kind of understand now why some didn't archive so I'll start reviewing each side of every transaction and see what's not been reconciled. Thanks so much for the advice.
  • Cindy
    Cindy Member ✭✭
    I've gone back over all the 'non archived' transactions and of the ones I could not fix are primarily split loan payments such as for mortgage and auto loans. The full transaction is reconciled on the paying side but the split amounts (i.e. Principal, Interest, & Escrow) don't show reconcile. Not sure how to fix this.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Transactions in your checking account which contain one or more splits categorized as transfers to other accounts will not be archived until ALL the transfers to the other accounts are reconciled, too.
    To get your checking account transactions to archive, you need to reconcile the loan and escrow accounts, too.
    Some types of transactions in certain business or investment accounts cannot be reconciled. If those transactions are holding up the show, you'll have to just keep them around. Alternatively, run a Copy with a cutoff date to remove all old transactions from the new year's file, regardless of reconcile status.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI again @Cindy,

As I had indicated above, if the transaction is not yet reconciled it will not be archived.  That includes all parts of a "combination" entry, so, if you need to make sure that all those components of the basic transaction have been reconciled, before you'll see the bank account portion (as well as its components) archived in Quicken.

Frankx

• Cindy
    Cindy Member ✭✭
    Frank .. sorry to keep bothering you but how to reconcile just an expenditure transaction. I have my mortgage principal set up under Property & Debt but as for the interest and escrow ... they are just set up as an standard expense which don't get reconciled. Should this be set up a different way?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Cindy,

It seems odd that you are still seeing this problem. If you haven't done this already, you should make sure that the entries for those items are marked "c" in the register.  If they are not, that could be the problem.

The only other potential way to get to where you want to go, could be included in the guidance on archiving located here - LINK. However, if I were you, I would consider whether it is worth going to that length, if there are only a few transactions that aren't archiving.  

Let me know if you have any followups and how things work out.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.