Re-categorize an asset?

Options
hyyqckn
hyyqckn Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I connected to my 401k account, which has what is called a Bond Trust. Doesn't have a stock or fund symbol but has a share price which changes.

It's from Vanguard and it's got lower cost than their admiral bond funds.

But Quicken imports as Cash.

So it messes up the Asset Allocation graphs as well as increase the cash balance for the Investment accounts.

It's set to a Detailed account but apparently I can't edit the portfolio at all.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hyyqckn said:
    I connected to my 401k account, which has what is called a Bond Trust. Doesn't have a stock or fund symbol but has a share price which changes.

It's from Vanguard and it's got lower cost than their admiral bond funds.

But Quicken imports as Cash.

So it messes up the Asset Allocation graphs as well as increase the cash balance for the Investment accounts.

It's set to a Detailed account but apparently I can't edit the portfolio at all.
    Hello @hyyqckn

Thanks for reaching out to us about this issue with importing investments. I know that these kinds of problems can be frustrating, and I appreciate you taking the time to speak with us about this.

Just so I am clear, what happens, exactly, when you try to edit the portfolio? Would you be willing to take screenshots and provide them here.

Also, since the bond trusts do not have stock symbols, how had you intended to track them as investment accounts?

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • hyyqckn
    hyyqckn Member ✭✭
    Options
    Basically when I connected it to my 401k account, it retrieved the correct balance and put it as Cash. So under the Portfolio tab, there is a single row item (because I only have one investment in the 401k account) which is Cash.

The 401k account will update the share price every day, which affects the balance.

Yes I understand it's an unusual situation because there is no stock symbol.

In my Vanguard account, I entered it manually and update it once a month or so as the balance changes. But I'm able to specify that it's a bond investment -- basically it's a bond fund with lower expense ratios.

So Vanguard will treat the value like bonds when it calculates my AA.

Fidelity also has something similar, where you can enter values of outside investments and categorize what type of assets they are, when you don't have stock or fund symbols available.

It's not a big deal, just maybe something Quicken might consider as a future change, the ability to manually update and manually classify certain accounts and asset categories, and doing the same for bank accounts, essentially CDs, which I consider are among my assets.

It would be more accurate way of tracking investments.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hyyqckn said:
    Basically when I connected it to my 401k account, it retrieved the correct balance and put it as Cash. So under the Portfolio tab, there is a single row item (because I only have one investment in the 401k account) which is Cash.

The 401k account will update the share price every day, which affects the balance.

Yes I understand it's an unusual situation because there is no stock symbol.

In my Vanguard account, I entered it manually and update it once a month or so as the balance changes. But I'm able to specify that it's a bond investment -- basically it's a bond fund with lower expense ratios.

So Vanguard will treat the value like bonds when it calculates my AA.

Fidelity also has something similar, where you can enter values of outside investments and categorize what type of assets they are, when you don't have stock or fund symbols available.

It's not a big deal, just maybe something Quicken might consider as a future change, the ability to manually update and manually classify certain accounts and asset categories, and doing the same for bank accounts, essentially CDs, which I consider are among my assets.

It would be more accurate way of tracking investments.
    @hyyqckn,

I see. The major issue would mostly be preserving the information that is entered manually once the investment is updated, but you could always try simply disconnecting the account or investment from online banking services, and then entering all the information manually. Of course, you can always suggest ideas for the Quicken development team to consider here: https://community.quicken.com/categories/product-ideas-quicken-for-mac.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.