Growth of $10,000 Graph

Options
MattT
MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Just a curiosity... why isn't all the beginning data (the beginning of the display time period), normalized to exactly $10,000?

I am displayed 3 indices plus "My Accounts".  The beginning data for all plots start initially at values ranging from $9,669 to $10,026.  Admittedly, not hypercritical, but starting off, there's already up to a 3.7% offset.

TIA for reading/responding.

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The legend on the graph for Last 12 months says 1/21 but if you view it today (1/10) the graph data starts at 1/10/21, so the first data point is comparing today's value to the 12/31/21 close.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The legend on the graph for Last 12 months says 1/21 but if you view it today (1/10) the graph data starts at 1/10/21, so the first data point is comparing today's value to the 12/31/21 close.
  • MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Actually mine shows the initial date is 1/31/2021 close ("Last 12 months" view and first data point on x-axis is 1/21 as you pointed out).  However, your point is noted and that would explain the slight delta. Of course, this graph is a tool and not a metric.

Thanks Jim!  Have a good one!
    Matt
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    Quicken made some improvements to the Growth of $10,000 graph a couple of years ago, but before you pay too much attention to it, please review this discussion.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20091670
  • MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Absolutely!  A lot of, even good, financial institutions are often thrown off and challenged to accurately calculate investment performance (vs. 10k or any amount, including "real" beginning $$) when frequent or large deposits or withdrawals are made within the period of analysis.

Thanks Jim!
This discussion has been closed.