Why does Quicken change the date of transaction and arbitrarily lock some transactions?

Options
jzents
jzents Member ✭✭
When I download transactions, particularly with my checking account, Quicken takes it upon itself to change the date of the transaction to the date it cleared at the bank. I do not like this. Today it did it with four transactions, three of which I was able to change the date back to the date it was actually entered. All four were payments to my credit card. But for some reason, one of the transactions was "locked" and I cannot change the date. It keeps sending me back entry in the credit card ledger which is correct. Can you explain to me why this is happening and how I stop it?

Best Answer

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    jzents said:
    When I download transactions, particularly with my checking account, Quicken takes it upon itself to change the date of the transaction to the date it cleared at the bank. I do not like this. Today it did it with four transactions, three of which I was able to change the date back to the date it was actually entered. All four were payments to my credit card. But for some reason, one of the transactions was "locked" and I cannot change the date. It keeps sending me back entry in the credit card ledger which is correct. Can you explain to me why this is happening and how I stop it?
    Hello @jzents,

I am sorry for any confusion you may have experienced, and I am grateful that you chose to speak with us about this on the Quicken Community. I believe that you are looking to disable the use of the posted date for downloaded transactions. In order to make use of this feature, you would go to Quicken > Preferences > Connected Services in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Then you would proceed to remove the check mark in the box next to Use posted date for matched transactions (instead of the date you enter manually).

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or comments.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Answer ✓
    Options
    jzents said:
    Hello @jzents,

I am sorry for any confusion you may have experienced, and I am grateful that you chose to speak with us about this on the Quicken Community. I believe that you are looking to disable the use of the posted date for downloaded transactions. In order to make use of this feature, you would go to Quicken > Preferences > Connected Services in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Then you would proceed to remove the check mark in the box next to Use posted date for matched transactions (instead of the date you enter manually).

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or comments.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Regarding the 2nd part of your question: You can only edit a transfer transaction in the account register in which it was created. Transfer transactions should never be showing different dates in the Date column at each end of the transaction. If this is happening, it's a bug or a glitch. First, make sure you are looking at the "Date" column and not one of the other dates, e.g., Entered, Modified or Posted. If the Date column shows different dates at each end of a Transfer, you might try changing the Date in the creation register, then change it back and see if that corrects the situation.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jzents
    jzents Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Options
    > @RickO said:
    > Regarding the 2nd part of your question: You can only edit a transfer transaction in the account register in which it was created. Transfer transactions should never be showing different dates in the Date column at each end of the transaction. If this is happening, it's a bug or a glitch. First, make sure you are looking at the "Date" column and not one of the other dates, e.g., Entered, Modified or Posted. If the Date column shows different dates at each end of a Transfer, you might try changing the Date in the creation register, then change it back and see if that corrects the situation.

Changing the date of the originating transaction and then changing it back did fix the problem. However, the behavior is inconsistent. You state you can only edit a transfer transaction in the account register in which it was created. All four of the transactions that I referenced in my initial post were created in the credit card account register as transfers in as payments. Quicken let me edit three out of the four from the checking account register to correct the date.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Let me know if that happens again. It really should not be working that way.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jzents
    jzents Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @RickO said:
    > Let me know if that happens again. It really should not be working that way.
    I will post again to this thread if it happens again soon. Will be looking for it.
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    jzents said:
    > @RickO said:
    > Let me know if that happens again. It really should not be working that way.
    I will post again to this thread if it happens again soon. Will be looking for it.
    Hello @jzents,        

Thank you so much for keeping us posted, and I'm sorry that this situation hasn't been clearly resolved just yet. We are definitely eager for further updates, whenever you have the chance.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.