Tracking Bonds

karl109
karl109 Member ✭✭
edited February 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Can I configure Quicken to download bond symbols, along with the usual bond data, from my brokerage? Or does this have to be done -- if possible -- through the brokerage?

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to match the bonds in your Quicken security list to the bonds at your brokerage.  Once that is done, prices can (will) come from your brokerage.  No 'symbols' meaning ticker symbols are required.  The matching if not already done can be worked through Tools / Online Center / choose financial institution / Holding tab / Compare to Portfolio.
  • karl109
    karl109 Member ✭✭
    This reply doesn't address the question I asked, and so it doesn't help me. I asked specifically about the possibility of downloading BOND SYMBOLS. Using these would be the easiest way to match downloaded (Quicken) bond data with data in a brokerage statement. This circumvents the need to match the names of bonds, which are are long and contain abbreviated, unnecessary info. Matching bonds by name is a tedious and error prone process. Give me a nine-character symbol anytime. In fact, in practice you only need match the last 4 or 5 characters to be 99.9% certain you've made the match. .
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    When you buy a bond (or your broker says you own a specific bond), downloading that information from the broker the first time will download a name and Quicken will create a new bond security (with your permission usually) with that name.  That new bond security in Quicken will be matched to the broker's information using the CUSIP for that bond.  

The Security View (Ctrl-Y) presents that CUSIP ID for your Quicken securities when that match exists.  

There is no provision for the program to automatically enter that CUSIP ID as the ticker symbol for the security.  If you choose to, you could manually enter that CUSIP ID in the ticker symbol field for any security.  To do so would not alter the existing matching that takes place for securities that are matched.  That is, the ticker field is not a parameter used in the downloading of information from your broker to your Quicken file.  Having that CUSIP in the ticker field might help you manually and visually associate your Quicken records to your brokerage records. 

Another option might be to edit the bond security name to include the CUSIP ID.  Again, that would be a manual effort on the part of the user.  No such programmed provision exists.

(I don't know what other "BOND SYMBOL" you would be referring to, nor where else in Quicken you would be expecting it to go.)
  • karl109
    karl109 Member ✭✭
    Thanks. This is helpful information.
This discussion has been closed.