Why are previously reconciliated transaction dates changing after downloads

davidcjones
davidcjones Member ✭✭
First, I have used Quicken for Mac for over 20 years and understand reconciliation.
I have the most recent updated version.
I have transactions in at least 1 account that were reconciled through my checking account in October 2021. I reconciled at the end of the month against my statement. Those transactions were cleared and reconciled. No errors.

Then there was some update to Quicken. Everything still looked fine, but when I download my transactions from my checking account from November going forward (this is a Discover checking account), 5-6 of the previously reconciled (eg, green check box) transactions have had their dates changed to dates in November and December. These transactions were already cleared through and showed up on prior statements (mostly October but some as old as August). Now when I go to reconcile November, I get a notice that there are reconciled transactions AFTER the date of my prior reconciliation with the suggestion that I am reconciling out of order. If I just ignore it and reconcile the November statement, it causes an error that requires an "adjustment" even though my opening balance, closing balance, deposits and withdrawals for the month match my November statement.

So I went back to a back-up file from October 31. Again, everything is as it should be. All the transactions appropriate. Then let Discover download automatically, and same thing--moved dates. So I tried again from the back-up, turned off automatic download and just downloaded the Discover account manually from Discover. Same problem. It is weird because these transactions with the altered dates do not show up on my statement for the month the date was changed to. They really were transactions from August through October. But I can't stop this from happening, and short of typing in every single transaction by hand, I don't see a solution. I usually reconcile once/month. After the November statement wouldn't reconcile (and I didn't figure out this issue with the downloads moving the dates), Quicken support spent 3 hours with me as the file was exported and re-imported. This wasn't satisfactory though, because I went to reconcile all my accounts and they have forgotten all reconciliation and some important stock information, so I am trying to go back and re-do the last 2 months from the old back-up.

Ideas are appreciated. Thank you.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    First, I have used Quicken for Mac for over 20 years and understand reconciliation.
    I have the most recent updated version.
    I have transactions in at least 1 account that were reconciled through my checking account in October 2021. I reconciled at the end of the month against my statement. Those transactions were cleared and reconciled. No errors.

Then there was some update to Quicken. Everything still looked fine, but when I download my transactions from my checking account from November going forward (this is a Discover checking account), 5-6 of the previously reconciled (eg, green check box) transactions have had their dates changed to dates in November and December. These transactions were already cleared through and showed up on prior statements (mostly October but some as old as August). Now when I go to reconcile November, I get a notice that there are reconciled transactions AFTER the date of my prior reconciliation with the suggestion that I am reconciling out of order. If I just ignore it and reconcile the November statement, it causes an error that requires an "adjustment" even though my opening balance, closing balance, deposits and withdrawals for the month match my November statement.

So I went back to a back-up file from October 31. Again, everything is as it should be. All the transactions appropriate. Then let Discover download automatically, and same thing--moved dates. So I tried again from the back-up, turned off automatic download and just downloaded the Discover account manually from Discover. Same problem. It is weird because these transactions with the altered dates do not show up on my statement for the month the date was changed to. They really were transactions from August through October. But I can't stop this from happening, and short of typing in every single transaction by hand, I don't see a solution. I usually reconcile once/month. After the November statement wouldn't reconcile (and I didn't figure out this issue with the downloads moving the dates), Quicken support spent 3 hours with me as the file was exported and re-imported. This wasn't satisfactory though, because I went to reconcile all my accounts and they have forgotten all reconciliation and some important stock information, so I am trying to go back and re-do the last 2 months from the old back-up.

Ideas are appreciated. Thank you.
    Hello @davidcjones,         

I know these kinds of reconciliation issues are frustrating. Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, nonetheless. Are you experiencing these issues exclusively with Discover accounts?

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • davidcjones
    davidcjones Member ✭✭
    I think it is only with Discover, which has never been a problem in the past. But I have tried restore from back-up, confirmed everything is fine with the file and reconciliations, even taken screen shots to show that the transactions are fully reconciled on different dates (the correct ones based on the bank statements), then after 2 different ways up downloading Discover updates, 5-6 transactions move. I did not see that with any other account, though I only did the ongoing testing with Discover.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I think it is only with Discover, which has never been a problem in the past. But I have tried restore from back-up, confirmed everything is fine with the file and reconciliations, even taken screen shots to show that the transactions are fully reconciled on different dates (the correct ones based on the bank statements), then after 2 different ways up downloading Discover updates, 5-6 transactions move. I did not see that with any other account, though I only did the ongoing testing with Discover.
    @davidcjones,

Thanks for checking back in and keeping me posted about this. You said you have some screenshots; is there any way you might be willing to post these? 

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • davidcjones
    davidcjones Member ✭✭
    I will try to put some up in the next couple of days. Thank you.
  • uncleduke
    uncleduke Member
    I have faithfully reconciled all accounts for 20 years. Recently, I downloaded new Quicken update, and one account (just one account) shows huge differences between what it calls "Quicken balance" and my actual Quicken balance. The whole account is bolixed up. Did the new update corrupt my account? How do I fix this? I suppose I can go back to the previous backup in November, but I've done a lot of work since then. Quicken Help line is NO help. I've waited for an hour or more.
  • davidcjones
    davidcjones Member ✭✭
    This sounds very similar to my experience. Just one account. I went back to back-ups from October, and I re-downloaded the Discover account that was messed up. It kept messing up the same way (and I did this numerous times and with 2 different ways of downloading the transactions). Of course, I did that all on the same day a week ago and it took a few hours. When I went to look for the screen shots I mentioned above, I had the screen shots I had taken of the account before downloading the November/December transactions (that were somehow moving the already reconciled transactions to different dates), but I couldn't lay my hands on the screen shots showing that the transactions had their dates changed from Aug and Sept to Nov and December. So on Thursday, I went back to the October back-up, downloaded the Discover account transactions for like the 10th time, and this time the update said that there was no Quicken Cloud for my file (note this was a different message than when I went back to updates previously, when it said I needed to reset my cloud account because the back-up didn't match or something). In any case, making a new "Cloud" took a long time, but afterwards I did the transaction download, and it worked without transactions moving or acting wonky. I am an my Air Guard drill this weekend so don't have the time to do more investigating at the moment, and my weekday job in the hospital runs late many evenings, so I won't be able to re-download and re-reconcile the other 30 or so accounts for November and December to be sure nothing pops up. It is a real PITA, but I am hopeful.
  • davidcjones
    davidcjones Member ✭✭
    Okay, I finally have a weekend off to go back and battle this problem. Here is a screenshot. On the right side, you see the screen shot of part of my checking account before running a download from Discover. You can see that check #1349 is already cleared and reconciled after prior downloads on August 19, 2021. After I run the automatic download from Discover, you can see on the left, the file now shows that transaction's date of reconciliation has been changed to 12/31/21. This is just one example. In the screen shot on the left side, EVERY transaction that has been checked green as reconciled was previously reconciled on a date prior to October 1, 2021 and has had its date changed after the download. This should not be happening, and it causes an error in any reconciliations I try to do now.
  • davidcjones
    davidcjones Member ✭✭
    I think there is some sort of corruption happening when I download the Discover checking account.
    I have gone back to prior clean back-ups, and this keeps happening over and over when I download the transactions.
  • davidcjones
    davidcjones Member ✭✭
    As I have tried to go back and start from that prior saved file, I now see that there are problems with other accounts (that NEVER had problems before). So far my discover checking and my Amazon Prime card. These accounts have reconciled perfectly for years, now both claimed I had transactions reconciled on dates AFTER my last reconciled statement. In the case of the Amazon Prime account, looking in the account, it wasn't a case of moved transactions because there aren't actually any transactions reconciled after the expected date. I even turned off SYNC that I never used and reset the cloud. I am really suspicious that as uncleduke noted above, something related to an update has scrambled things. It is hard to understand why accounts that reconciled for 20+ years suddenly don't...I have put literally 40 hours into trying to re-reconcile and re-reconcile, go back to solid back-ups, (redownload transactions to no avail) my old data so I don't lose everything.
This discussion has been closed.