transaction(s) randomly disappearing

oldbirch
oldbirch Member ✭✭
Every couple of months or so, a reconciled transaction randomly disappears. I cannot account for this in anyway. Sometimes it's one account, sometimes it's several at the same time. I keep careful track of all my transactions and reconcile my accounts to the penny generally weekly. The missing transaction is usually months back, on occasion it's years. I haven't seen anyone else with this problem, but I may be searching with other terminology and not picking them up. Any ideas what could be causing this? Sometimes it takes me hours to find the problem. Very frustrating and kind of disturbing that this can happen. I've been using Quicken for decades. This has only been happening the last few years. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @oldbirch

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. To better assist you information is needed. For instance, where are your main/active files stored (external hard drive, local hard drive, cloud-based storage)? In the accounts where transactions have disappeared, are they manually managed or downloaded? Also, how often do you perform backups? 

Please elaborate further so that we may move forward with diagnosing the issue at hand. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • oldbirch
    oldbirch Member ✭✭
    Files stored on local hard drive.
    Transactions are downloaded, but I look at each one before they get entered.
    thank you for reminding me about backing up. I don't do that enough.

This issue has just happened again. At least one account is off by thousands. thank you for any help you can offer.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these banking/CC accounts, investment accounts, both, other?
  • oldbirch
    oldbirch Member ✭✭
    chequing and savings account. So what happened today, six months of credit card payments disappeared from the register. From six months to today, just gone. I cannot account for this. I was not changing or deleting categories. It took hours to fix it.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Chequing" meaning a Canadian user?

Sorry.  Can't offer you anything specific.  I would have restored a backup rather than created 6-months of cc transactions.

If you are seeing this happen "randomly", be especially diligent about backup.  Like every time!
  • oldbirch
    oldbirch Member ✭✭
    Yes, Canadian user. Thank you for your help. Yes, I will go from backing up every 5 times to every time. I had a bad experience restoring a backed up file, and avoid it if possible, but having it as an option is always good. I would really love to know what is causing the problem though.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you are aware that if you delete a transaction from a report, you are actually deleting the transaction from the database, not just revising the report.  That has caught some users in the past, but Quicken tries to make it a touch clearer these days.  
This discussion has been closed.