I have previously used Quickbooks and thinking of changing to Quicken.

I find that Quickbooks offers more than what I need and the version I have is outdated and thinking of changing to Quicken. Does it have the check register that I can manually enter the check information of handwritten checks along with the drop downs for vendors/employee categories. Is there a way to get a trial version to review the features? Thanks

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @lois0419.

Yes, Quicken had a check register and you can manually enter the check info from manual checks in it.  And there are drop down menus for payees and employees.  You'll probably want to use the Home & Business, Rental Property version.  If you have employees (and do their payroll), the features in Quicken are less robust than Quickbooks.

There isn't a trial version, but there is a 30 day money back guarantee if you do not like it.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @lois0419.

Yes, Quicken had a check register and you can manually enter the check info from manual checks in it.  And there are drop down menus for payees and employees.  You'll probably want to use the Home & Business, Rental Property version.  If you have employees (and do their payroll), the features in Quicken are less robust than Quickbooks.

There isn't a trial version, but there is a 30 day money back guarantee if you do not like it.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• lois0419
    lois0419 Member
    Thanks for your prompt response. So at the end of the year is there an option as in Quickbooks to print a report for each of the categories that checks have been reported for as far as vendors/employees? Thanks
  • lois0419
    lois0419 Member
    Also, does the amount charged only give you the capability to use the software one year or is the subscription merely for free technical support and you can continue to use after the one year period. It's confusing as with Quickbooks I purchased the orginial cd and continued to use for the past 10 years. Thanks
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Unfortunately, the subscription is for a 1 year period (it includes Support for that year) and after that, if you do not renew, you can still use the software but it becomes entirely manual - i.e. no downloads from financial institutions (and you also lose about 1/4 of your screen/view to a permanent Quicken ad).

Frankx

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh - and yes the reporting features are pretty robust.

Frankx

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just so you know.....It is not possible to convert QuickBooks data to Quicken. It is only possible to convert Quicken data to QuickBooks.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• lois0419
    lois0419 Member
    Thanks for the information!
This discussion has been closed.