How to correct problems with checks printing out of order

Tagman
Tagman Member
When I enter three or more checks after clicking "write checks" then clicking print then clicking print all checks, the checks are not printed in the numeric order that is showing in the ledger. For example, on the ledger, vendor Y would show a check number of 1234. But the actual printed check is with check number 1238. In fact, all the ledger numbers do not match the printed check numbers. I have to then go back into the ledger and enter the printer check number for each given vendor. Does any one have a fix for this problem?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you printing Voucher checks (one business size check and two vouchers per sheet)?
    When you load check forms into your printer, do you load them face up or face down?
    Which check sheet gets pulled into the printer first: the one with the lowest pre-printed number (1234) or the one with the highest number (1238)?
    In my Epson WF printer, if I were to print voucher checks, I'd have to load them face down because, in the printer, the sheets make a 180 degree U-turn, to pass face up under the print heads. The first check to be picked from the top of the stack would be the one with number 1238. To make them print in the correct sequence, i.e., check 1234 on check sheet numbered 1234, I have to do one of two things, and I have to remember to do this every time I print checks:
    • Go into Printer Properties / Preferences and change the settings to enable "reverse order" (so that check forms now print "last page first", 1238, 1237, ... 1234)
    • Before loading check forms into the printer reshuffle the sheets in reverse order so that the lowest pre-numbered check now ends up lying on top of the stack in the printer's input tray. (and don't change printer settings)
    Because of that, I still use my older Epson Stylus printer which has a straight-thru paper path. Check forms are loaded face-up, in numerical sequence and I don't have to do any of the above. Just load a handful of checks into the input tray and go.
  • Tagman
    Tagman Member
    Thanks for the response. I've got a Canon TR8250 printer. So far I can't find the reverse order selection in printer settings but will continue to try. Again, many thanks.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tagman said:
    Thanks for the response. I've got a Canon TR8250 printer. So far I can't find the reverse order selection in printer settings but will continue to try. Again, many thanks.
    The online manuals on the Canon website aren't much help either. I just looked ...
    If there isn't a "reverse order" or "print last page first" setting, use the 2nd option I mentioned above: load the check forms in reverse order into your printer. Experiment using blank sheets of paper onto which you pencil in check numbers, 1234, 1235, etc. so you don't waste a lot of preprinted check sheets.

• Tagman
    Tagman Member
    Thanks so much. I'll give that a try.
This discussion has been closed.