Why am I getting this unclear request for credentials when updating?

DLPinCA
DLPinCA Member
I'm getting this odd popup (see attached image) asking me for credentials when I update online accounts. It doesn't specify which account it's asking about and doesn't look anything like the usual Quicken error messages that sometimes appear when an account can't be updated. Clicking 'cancel' results in a normal update, apparently completely successful. Where is this coming from and how do I get rid of it?
httpsusv-cdnnet6031128uploadseditorjzntz3mfbhs9utpng

Best Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    DLPinCA said:
    Same ID, different banks. I always let Quicken store passwords in the keychain - it’s there, which is easy to tell since the account update succeeds even if I click ‘cancel’ in the pop up.

So the purpose of this pop up is still a mystery, even if it’s legit.

Macs virus-proof? LOL, the hacker community smiles and chuckles every time somebody says that.
    Hello @DLPinCA,   

I am sorry for any confusion you may have experienced, and I am grateful to you for contributing so much to this discussion here on the Quicken Community. 

In this case, since the passwords are being stored in the Keychain Access app for a specific purpose, it would be very difficult to determine which institution is providing this prompt. I can confirm, however, that the pop-up is not a scam attempt and is a legitimate request from one of the banks, credit unions, or brokerages that you possess an account with.

I appreciate any further responses you may be able to provide, should you have the chance to check in with us once more.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• DLPinCA
    DLPinCA Member
    Answer ✓
    Thank you, Jared. Good to know it’s legitimate. Oddly, the pop up seems to have resolved itself somehow - a strange behavior but easy to ignore.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the Customer ID shown in the popup equal to a customer ID of one of your bank accounts?
    I concur, the bank name should be shown as part of the message text.
  • DLPinCA
    DLPinCA Member
    Yes, the customer ID is the same as one of my accounts... but I use that same ID for more than one account. So this popup is particularly unhelpful in that regard.

Can you confirm that this is a legitimate request from Quicken, and not some unknown-to-me malware trying to steal my account credentials?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    DLPinCA said:
    Yes, the customer ID is the same as one of my accounts... but I use that same ID for more than one account. So this popup is particularly unhelpful in that regard.

Doesn't matter if you have multiple accounts with the same bank. You only have one Customer ID which applies to all accounts for this bank. So, letting Quicken store the password for this ID in the Mac Keychain would be a way to get rid of the prompt at every transaction download.

Can you confirm that this is a legitimate request from Quicken, and not some unknown-to-me malware trying to steal my account credentials?
    99.99% sure it's legit. Have you recently checked your Mac for viruses, etc.? Aren't Macs supposed to be virus-proof?

• DLPinCA
    DLPinCA Member
    Same ID, different banks. I always let Quicken store passwords in the keychain - it’s there, which is easy to tell since the account update succeeds even if I click ‘cancel’ in the pop up.

Macs virus-proof? LOL, the hacker community smiles and chuckles every time somebody says that.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    DLPinCA said:

Hello @DLPinCA,   

I am sorry for any confusion you may have experienced, and I am grateful to you for contributing so much to this discussion here on the Quicken Community. 

In this case, since the passwords are being stored in the Keychain Access app for a specific purpose, it would be very difficult to determine which institution is providing this prompt. I can confirm, however, that the pop-up is not a scam attempt and is a legitimate request from one of the banks, credit unions, or brokerages that you possess an account with.

I appreciate any further responses you may be able to provide, should you have the chance to check in with us once more.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• DLPinCA
    DLPinCA Member
    Answer ✓
    Thank you, Jared. Good to know it’s legitimate. Oddly, the pop up seems to have resolved itself somehow - a strange behavior but easy to ignore.
This discussion has been closed.