New Wells Fargo authorization after convert Win to Mac?

BradK
BradK Member
I recently converted from Quicken Windows to Mac but when I tried to do an update with Wells Fargo it said my username or password were incorrect. Tried deactivating and reactivating the account and double-checking credentials but got same response. Went back to Windows machine and same credentials worked fine. Is there a conversion step I am missing?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    BradK said:
    I recently converted from Quicken Windows to Mac but when I tried to do an update with Wells Fargo it said my username or password were incorrect. Tried deactivating and reactivating the account and double-checking credentials but got same response. Went back to Windows machine and same credentials worked fine. Is there a conversion step I am missing?
    Hello @BradK,

I am saddened to hear that you are experiencing this problem with signing in to your accounts for online banking services. I am thankful that you took the chance to bring this issue up for discussion with the Quicken Community.

First, be sure to save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Be sure to do this frequently when using the Quicken application. Next, we are going to clear the Keychain Access app, which is a step-by-step process that I will explain in further detail now.

First, disconnect all of the accounts associated with Wells Fargo, as described here:
    1. Open Quicken.
    2. Go to the Accounts menu and choose Hide and Show Accounts;
    3. Uncheck any accounts with this specific financial institution (FI) that are hidden in Lists;
    4. When complete, click on the account name for your account(s) in the Accounts toolbar in Quicken.
    5. Click the Settings icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.
    6. Select the Downloads tab.
    7. Click on Disconnect Account.
    8. Click Done. Do this on each account with this FI. 
    9. Quit Quicken.
    Next, be sure to clear the relevant passwords in the Keychain Access app, itself:
    1. Open Finder and go to Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access app;
    2. On the left panel in the Keychain app, set the Keychains to Login and the Category to Passwords.
    3. Find and delete any entries that show Quicken or Quicken Connect and this FI name;
    4. Quit the Keychain Access app and open Quicken.
    After that, we will update the bank list in Quicken via the steps:
    1. Go to Accounts > New and pick an account type matching one of the affected accounts.
    2. At the bottom of the window that lists the financial institutions, click the "My bank is not listed" question mark icon; then click Update List.
    3. When the list finishes updating, it will display the current date. Click the Show List button to continue.
    Finally, we will re-add the Wells Fargo accounts:
    1. Type the name of the financial institution and make the appropriate selection.
    2. Enter your login credentials and click Continue.
    3. When Quicken has returned all accounts discovered for this FI, very carefully LINK each of the found accounts to the appropriate account you already have setup in Quicken.
    I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to any updates you may be able to provide.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • BradK
    BradK Member
    Sorry to sat this did not work. I went through each step but after entering my credential for the bank account got the same error message: "The user has entered an invalid user ID or password. If registering for the first time, please login to ... " and gives a Wells Fargo Bank URL "to start the registration process".
  • Quicken Jared
    BradK said:
    Sorry to sat this did not work. I went through each step but after entering my credential for the bank account got the same error message: "The user has entered an invalid user ID or password. If registering for the first time, please login to ... " and gives a Wells Fargo Bank URL "to start the registration process".
    @BradK,

I am sorry to hear that the issue is persisting. Thank you for following up with me about this.

Have you gone through the steps in the URL already, as of this time? It may be that the account simply needs to be registered for third-party access on Wells Fargo's website.

If you have already taken that step, we can proceed with some other troubleshooting strategies, as per usual. Be sure to save a backup again, before taking any further steps. Next, go to Quicken > Sign Out and then sign back in when prompted to so with your QuickenID and Quicken.com password. Now attempt to link your accounts with your regular credentials once more.

I look forward to your reply, and I hope to continue working with you on this, as necessary. 

Thanks,

Quicken Jared

• BradK
    BradK Member
    I did not go through the Well Fargo URL to initiate a registration since this account has been registered/activated for online access through Quicken for years. Would a bank require reactivation of online access because I changed from Windows to Mac?
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @BradK

Thank you for your response. To clarify, when setting up a new account in Quicken some banks require you to allow a third-party or online access. This is not because of the change from Windows to Mac but because it is a "different/new device". 

Hope this provides clarification. Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Paloma
  • BradK
    BradK Member
    OK, so going through the Wells Fargo authorization process worked (it took two tries). I linked to the existing accounts and it did the download. Thank you.
  • Quicken Jared
    BradK said:
    OK, so going through the Wells Fargo authorization process worked (it took two tries). I linked to the existing accounts and it did the download. Thank you.
    @BradK,

Thank you so much for following up with us, and I am excited to hear that the issue has been resolved. If it provides any relief, it is common for multi-factor authentication to take a couple of cycles to succeed, if that is what caused the repetition here.

Thanks again for your response, and feel free to check back in with the Quicken Community with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.