Can't Backup to External Hard Drive Since Updating to Windows 11

Options
Cloisonne
Cloisonne Member ✭✭
I have been unable to back up to an external hard drive since December 2021 when I updated to Windows 11. I get the error message "Unable to create the destination data file". Tech support told me the problem lies with the Windows 11 software. Has anyone found a workaround to this problem? I am using Quicken Version: R37.67 Build:27.1.37.67 Thank you!
Tagged:

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have you tried deleting the mapping for the external drive and remapping? This has resolved the issue for me in the past.
  • Cloisonne
    Cloisonne Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestion @GeoffG! If I understand mapping correctly, I believe this requires me to reformat my external hard drive. I have been reluctant to do so but it may be my only alternative. Thanks for your thoughts!
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Options
    No! You do not want nor need to reformat your external HD. That is destructive. You simply disconnect the current mapping, then map the drive again. From Windows explorer you select the drive then in Windows 11 (10 is similar) select the drive then the "..." at the top. In Windows 10 its somewhere on the menu bar. Then delete the mapping. All access to the drive of course will be gone, but easily restored once you remap the drive.

• Cloisonne
    Cloisonne Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you GeoffG for your very clear instructions regarding remapping. I appreciate your help!
This discussion has been closed.