Dominion Energy vs Dominion Resources - Incorrect Ticker Symbol/Name

Hornman5659
Hornman5659 Member ✭✭
In 2016, I purchased shares of what was then Dominion Resources. In February 2018, the company changed its name to Dominion Energy, but as far as I know, did not change either their ticker symbol (D) or their share classes. My brokerage currently lists my shares as Dominion Energy, as it should. The problem is that in Quicken, the ticker symbol listed for Dominion Energy is DCUE, which is actually for Dominion Corporate Units. So, when I automatically download my investment data from my brokerage, Quicken grabs the prices for the DCUE shares, and not the "D" shares, which as far as Quicken is concerned is the symbol for a company named Dominion Resources, which no longer exists. I recently moved my investments into a new trust account with the same brokerage, so my old account has been closed. I'd like to start fresh with the correct data for my new account, but am not sure how to go about getting Quicken to download the correct share prices. Can anyone tell me how Quicken knows which data to download - does it go by the company name, its ticker symbol, the cusip number, or something else? And could I go into Quicken's Security list, edit the names (say, rename Dominion Resources as Dominion Energy and Dominion Energy as, say, Dominion Energy DCUE) and expect the program to then download the correct data?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    In 2016, I purchased shares of what was then Dominion Resources. In February 2018, the company changed its name to Dominion Energy, but as far as I know, did not change either their ticker symbol (D) or their share classes. My brokerage currently lists my shares as Dominion Energy, as it should. The problem is that in Quicken, the ticker symbol listed for Dominion Energy is DCUE, which is actually for Dominion Corporate Units. So, when I automatically download my investment data from my brokerage, Quicken grabs the prices for the DCUE shares, and not the "D" shares, which as far as Quicken is concerned is the symbol for a company named Dominion Resources, which no longer exists. I recently moved my investments into a new trust account with the same brokerage, so my old account has been closed. I'd like to start fresh with the correct data for my new account, but am not sure how to go about getting Quicken to download the correct share prices. Can anyone tell me how Quicken knows which data to download - does it go by the company name, its ticker symbol, the cusip number, or something else? And could I go into Quicken's Security list, edit the names (say, rename Dominion Resources as Dominion Energy and Dominion Energy as, say, Dominion Energy DCUE) and expect the program to then download the correct data?
    Hello @Hornman5659,

I am sorry for any frustration you may have experienced. I appreciate that you have taken the time to discuss this matter with us here on the Quicken Community. 

Unfortunately, the information that is downloaded for securities is provided by the financial institution. In this case, the ticker symbols are not reinterpreted or changed by Quicken; they are supplied by the bank, credit union, or brokerage. 

You have a couple of options in this particular scenario. You can manually add securities by selecting your investment account from the left-hand panel in the Quicken window, under the Account List. Next, click on the Transactions view above the YTD graph. Then click New underneath the register to the left, denoted by the '+' contained in a circle. Make sure that the field under Type contains the word Buy and proceed to enter all of the necessary information and statistics associated with the security. You can also add securities by going to Window > Securities in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open and then clicking Add in the lower left-hand corner of this window, denoted this time by a simple '+'.

It may also be worthwhile to speak with Dominion Energy and speak with a representative there. You may have to request to speak with a 'Tier 2' agent or an escalations team as these agents may have greater familiarity with third-party financial tracking software, such as Quicken.

I hope this is helpful and look forward to your response.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• Hornman5659
    Hornman5659 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Jared, for your quick response. Are you saying that it's Edward Jones who has DCUE associated with Dominion Energy and D associated with Dominion Resources? If that's the case, I'd think that whenever my dividends are reinvested, they would go into DCUE shares, but they're consistently the common shares at the common share price, which runs around $30 less than the DCUE shares. Quicken's Securities list is where I see DCUE associated with Dominion Energy - does that come from Edward Jones, or is the Securities list generated from Quicken?
  • Quicken Jared
    Thanks, Jared, for your quick response. Are you saying that it's Edward Jones who has DCUE associated with Dominion Energy and D associated with Dominion Resources? If that's the case, I'd think that whenever my dividends are reinvested, they would go into DCUE shares, but they're consistently the common shares at the common share price, which runs around $30 less than the DCUE shares. Quicken's Securities list is where I see DCUE associated with Dominion Energy - does that come from Edward Jones, or is the Securities list generated from Quicken?
    @Hornman5659

I am happy to be of assistance, and thank you for contributing to the discussion surrounding security and investment downloads.

The share information - including price - would be provided by the financial institution; in this case, it sounds like it is being provided by Edward Jones. Quicken does not automatically generate these values. All information that would not be provided directly by the institution would be supplied by yourself in the form of manual entries.

I hope that is informative, and feel free to return to the Quicken Community with any other questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Hornman5659
    Hornman5659 Member ✭✭
    Problem solved! I contacted Edward Jones, and a tech suggested I create a new Quicken data file and download my EJ information into it. After doing this, I checked Dominion Energy Inc, and it showed the ticker symbol D, and it contained the correct share price information for the common shares. I then went back to my "real" Quicken file, and after seeing that I couldn't edit the securities list there, deleted that account (not before making a backup, of course) then re-added it. This time, Quicken showed Dominion Energy with the ticker symbol D, and the share price information is now correct, so it looks like I'm in business. I'm still not sure why Quicken wouldn't allow me to edit the security information my original file directly, but at least I ended up with what I needed.
  • Quicken Jared
    Problem solved! I contacted Edward Jones, and a tech suggested I create a new Quicken data file and download my EJ information into it. After doing this, I checked Dominion Energy Inc, and it showed the ticker symbol D, and it contained the correct share price information for the common shares. I then went back to my "real" Quicken file, and after seeing that I couldn't edit the securities list there, deleted that account (not before making a backup, of course) then re-added it. This time, Quicken showed Dominion Energy with the ticker symbol D, and the share price information is now correct, so it looks like I'm in business. I'm still not sure why Quicken wouldn't allow me to edit the security information my original file directly, but at least I ended up with what I needed.
    @Hornman5659,

Thank you for following up with us about this; the additional information about the resolution is extremely beneficial. I am excited to hear that the problem seems to have been solved.

Feel free to reach back out to us any time with any other questions or concerns.

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.