Problem printing invoices in H&B

Running Quicken Home and Business on Windows with subscription. My invoices have stopped printing to the file where I store them. It will only print pdf files to my desktop. I have tried resetting the Quicken print setting and choosing pdf printer on nul. It has worked for years and just stopped recently. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Best Answer

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    Strange.   Not sure if this is a Quicken or Windows problem.   Googling the error/behavior it seems there may be a Windows security issue.  There is a number of search results pointing back to the "controlled folder access" setting found in "Update and Security".

Have a look at this adobe webpage and see if it might apply to your situation.  https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/unable-to-save-pdf-windows-10.html.   This page gives you a step-by-step guide to check some security settings.    

I looked at my own settings for "controlled folder access" and see it is turned off.  Image.  Could yours be turned on, for some reason?  I've never messed with this setting so I really don't know much about it, other than what is documented.

Answers

• Scooterlam
    Do you not get the Save to PDF window that allows you to select a folder in which to save the PDF invoice?  Image 1.   

What happens when you select Microsoft Print to PDF on the Printer pull-down.  Image 2.  Are you also not allowed to select a folder in which to save the PDF invoice?  Do you get the same result as the Quicken PDF Printer on Null selection?

• Thank you for your questions. Using either printer choice, Quicken allows me to browse to the folder I want to save the pdf file, but will not save there. It gives me an odd error message that the "file can't be found" (see screen grab below). It also won't allow me to save in higher-level folders in that chain. It will allow me to save to my desktop, so that's what I do, but that creates a need for me to copy and paste those invoices from the desktop to where I really want them.
  • Scooterlam
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    Strange.   Not sure if this is a Quicken or Windows problem.   Googling the error/behavior it seems there may be a Windows security issue.  There is a number of search results pointing back to the "controlled folder access" setting found in "Update and Security".

Have a look at this adobe webpage and see if it might apply to your situation.  https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/unable-to-save-pdf-windows-10.html.   This page gives you a step-by-step guide to check some security settings.    

I looked at my own settings for "controlled folder access" and see it is turned off.  Image.  Could yours be turned on, for some reason?  I've never messed with this setting so I really don't know much about it, other than what is documented.

• Sure enough, my controlled folder access was set to "on." When I turned it off, I could print to the folder I wanted. Thank you. Although I would mention that Acrobat.exe was listed in my allowed programs when that was on. (Now, of course, I wonder if turning that setting off has any unintended consequences.)
  • Update: Went back in and authorized the application qw.exe to access protected folders, and that worked. Thanks again for your time. Much appreciated.
  • Scooterlam
    Very welcome!   What an odd problem!  Good to see you're up and running.
This discussion has been closed.