Duplicate credit card payment transactions from Bank of America

GenoM
GenoM Member ✭✭
Using Quicken for Mac Version 6.5.3 (Build 605.42687.100); macOS 12.2. I enter CC payments in Quicken Checking account register as a transfer and use BAC Bill Pay to schedule the payment. When the payment posts, BAC/Quicken downloads a new (duplicate) Uncategorized transaction. It will not match the existing CC payment transaction. This happens for EVERY credit card payment. None of the CC transactions in the register have FITIDs. Tonight, BAC/Quicken downloaded duplicate Uncategorized transactions for every scheduled CC payment. They refuse to match and can't be deleted without canceling the schedule BAC payment. Maintaining the Register has become a lot more work than it should be.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    GenoM said:
    Using Quicken for Mac Version 6.5.3 (Build 605.42687.100); macOS 12.2. I enter CC payments in Quicken Checking account register as a transfer and use BAC Bill Pay to schedule the payment. When the payment posts, BAC/Quicken downloads a new (duplicate) Uncategorized transaction. It will not match the existing CC payment transaction. This happens for EVERY credit card payment. None of the CC transactions in the register have FITIDs. Tonight, BAC/Quicken downloaded duplicate Uncategorized transactions for every scheduled CC payment. They refuse to match and can't be deleted without canceling the schedule BAC payment. Maintaining the Register has become a lot more work than it should be.
    Hello @GenoM

I am sorry for any frustration you have experienced because of this issue. Thank you for contacting us at the Quicken Community for additional support and discussion.

What happens when you try to match the manually-created credit card transactions with the downloaded transactions by dragging and dropping one of them atop the other in the register? Also, the FITIDs would generally have to be provided by the financial institution in the QFX download; have you noticed that these are missing in other accounts besides Bank of America?

I hope to hear back from you about this matter, and look forward to working with you on this via correspondences in this discussion, if necessary.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • GenoM
    GenoM Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Jared - thanks for the quick response. Next scheduled credit card payment is 2/7 and there are 2 transactions in the Checking account register. Dragging each on the other does not match them. Here's a partial screen shot...
    02/07/22 01/18/22 9925 Sam's Club MC/SYNCB Stmt 1/16 due 2/8 [Sam's MasterC...
    02/07/22 02/01/22 9925 Sam's Club MC/SYNCB Uncategorized
    They both have the same bank-generated "check number" (9925). There are 5 pairs of these transactions in the register at this time. I don't have any other accounts from which I make credit card payments, so am not able to compare.

The missing FITIDs are the result of me deleting the downloaded transactions after processing, leaving only my original transactions. Sorry for that misleading info.
  • Quicken Jared
    GenoM said:
    @Quicken Jared - thanks for the quick response. Next scheduled credit card payment is 2/7 and there are 2 transactions in the Checking account register. Dragging each on the other does not match them. Here's a partial screen shot...
    02/07/22 01/18/22 9925 Sam's Club MC/SYNCB Stmt 1/16 due 2/8 [Sam's MasterC...
    02/07/22 02/01/22 9925 Sam's Club MC/SYNCB Uncategorized
    They both have the same bank-generated "check number" (9925). There are 5 pairs of these transactions in the register at this time. I don't have any other accounts from which I make credit card payments, so am not able to compare.

The missing FITIDs are the result of me deleting the downloaded transactions after processing, leaving only my original transactions. Sorry for that misleading info.
    Hello @GenoM,

I see. Thank you for providing some more information about the situation for me. I appreciate the time you have taken to keep in touch about this.

First, be sure to save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. This is a source of help in many different situations and should be done as frequently as possible when operating Quicken. 

Next, select one of your Bank of America accounts from the Account List in the left-hand panel of the Quicken window and then go to Accounts > Settings > Downloads in the menu at the top of the screen mentioned previously and click Disconnect Account. You will have to do this for each Bank of America account individually. Be sure to go to Accounts > Hide and Show Accounts and ensure that no Bank of America accounts are marked Hide in Lists.

After that, navigate to Quicken > Preferences > Connected Services and then click Reset next to the Cloud account information listed in this window.  You may then attempt to link your accounts once again by going to the Add Account button in the upper left-hand corner of the Quicken window, denoted by the '+' icon. After entering your credentials, be sure to select LINK under the Action column when prompted, rather than Add or Ignore.

I look forward to your reply and hope to continue working with you on this, if necessary.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• GenoM
    GenoM Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Jared - everything you suggested has been accomplished. Looks good so far. Next CC payment will be mid-month, I won't be able to tell until them if the Reset worked. One small problem I noticed is the "Online Balance" in upper right corner of Quicken Window shows $0.00 for all BAC accounts. It previously displayed the Bank's balance for each account. I've updated All Accounts a couple of times and it still shows zero. Thanks for your help.
  • Quicken Jared
    GenoM said:
    @Quicken Jared - everything you suggested has been accomplished. Looks good so far. Next CC payment will be mid-month, I won't be able to tell until them if the Reset worked. One small problem I noticed is the "Online Balance" in upper right corner of Quicken Window shows $0.00 for all BAC accounts. It previously displayed the Bank's balance for each account. I've updated All Accounts a couple of times and it still shows zero. Thanks for your help.
    @GenoM,

I am glad to hear that it sounds as though there are some positive developments. Thank you for keeping me informed about the situation as it develops.

Regarding the online balance, are you referring to the number under the heading Today's Balance? Are there transactions displaying in the account registers at this moment in time?

I am interested in hearing more about this after the next credit card payment has been posted, should you have the chance to continue following up with me.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• GenoM
    GenoM Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Jared,
    After a couple of update cycles, the "Online Balance" corrected itself and now reflects the Bank's account balance. It appears that all is good. I will retain your "reset" instructions and apply them again when communications with a financial institution get out or whack. Thank you for your help!
  • Quicken Jared
    GenoM said:
    @Quicken Jared,
    After a couple of update cycles, the "Online Balance" corrected itself and now reflects the Bank's account balance. It appears that all is good. I will retain your "reset" instructions and apply them again when communications with a financial institution get out or whack. Thank you for your help!
    Hello @GenoM,

I am so happy to hear that the problem seems to have been resolved. Thank you for taking the time to follow up with me and keep me updated about this turn of events.

Feel free to reach out to the Quicken Community in the future with any other questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.