Does Quicken require a connection with my bank?

I use an older version of Quicken for my banking. I've been considering an upgrade but I don't want Quicken to connect to my bank. I insist on keeping an independent record, which should then match my monthly bank statement. Before I upgrade, I want to be sure a connection with my financial institution isn't required.

Best Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    No, it does not require a connection to your bank.  If you don't set up the connection you can manually enter all of your transactions.  Since you are currently using an older version which does not connect, if you upgrade and open your existing data file that will remain the same.

One question - what version are you currently using?  Depending on the version you may need to download an intermediate version (free) to upgrade your data file prior to installing and upgrading to the latest.  See this article:

Convert Data From an Earlier Version of Quicken (When to Use an Intermediate Version)

Edit: Another question is since you do not want to connect to your bank, why do you want to upgrade?  Are you looking for a particular feature?  The new versions are subscription based so you would either have to keep renewing every year or you will see a big banner which you cannot remove that reminds you to renew.  You can keep using it though.  Since you have been using an older version it doesn't sound like you would want to keep renewing every year.  Just an FYI.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Josephano said:  I'm currently using Quicken 2017.
    You might consider staying with Q 2017 for awhile.  It was the last version before the migration to the new User ID.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I'm still using Quicken 2013 on Windows10 and don't plan to ever buy a newer version.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    No, it does not require a connection to your bank.  If you don't set up the connection you can manually enter all of your transactions.  Since you are currently using an older version which does not connect, if you upgrade and open your existing data file that will remain the same.

One question - what version are you currently using?  Depending on the version you may need to download an intermediate version (free) to upgrade your data file prior to installing and upgrading to the latest.  See this article:

Convert Data From an Earlier Version of Quicken (When to Use an Intermediate Version)

Edit: Another question is since you do not want to connect to your bank, why do you want to upgrade?  Are you looking for a particular feature?  The new versions are subscription based so you would either have to keep renewing every year or you will see a big banner which you cannot remove that reminds you to renew.  You can keep using it though.  Since you have been using an older version it doesn't sound like you would want to keep renewing every year.  Just an FYI.

• Thank you for the response. Great information to have. I'm currently using Quicken 2017. And great question about the upgrade. Several years ago I used an old version of Quicken that eventually was no longer supported, and I didn't upgrade in time. I don't want to get too far behind to avoid that scenario in the future. Also, upgrades often have new or better features that make using the program easier, and I appreciate that.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Josephano said:  I'm currently using Quicken 2017.
    You might consider staying with Q 2017 for awhile.  It was the last version before the migration to the new User ID.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I'm still using Quicken 2013 on Windows10 and don't plan to ever buy a newer version.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.