Schwab One Step Update only Partially Downloads Transactions

Been using Quicken for many many years. I typically download a year's worth of transactions around tax time to organize my records. This year it seems like nothing works right with One Step Update. I have spent 2 days going through the notes, done the updates, mondo patches, disconnect and reconnect accounts and am close to wits end. Here are my results:

Bank of America - no longer works, but thankfully offers qfx downloads which saved me there!

First National Bank - works with One Step but maybe because there were only 19 transactions...

Schwab - Connects then proceeds to only download the transactions after 11/16/21 in one account, 12/13/21 in the second, and 1/14/22 in the third. There are differing numbers of transactions downloaded to each. Schwab does not offer qfx download, only csv files which Quicken doesn't import from.

This sucks! I have hundreds of transactions to import and organize which is the basic reason for using Quicken. I doesn't make sense how this simple data transfer has gotten so messed up. Data import used to be Quicken's bread and butter!

What do I do now? From the notes it sounds like this problem has been worked on for some time and is still giving people headaches. It's not good when the attempted solution involves a "mondo patch". It is weird that it only partially works. I am mostly interested in a solution for the Schwab transactions for both banking and brokerage. Am I doing something wrong? Should I try ImportQIF as a workaround to use the Schwab CSV files?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Murrin said:
    Been using Quicken for many many years. I typically download a year's worth of transactions around tax time to organize my records. This year it seems like nothing works right with One Step Update. I have spent 2 days going through the notes, done the updates, mondo patches, disconnect and reconnect accounts and am close to wits end. Here are my results:

Bank of America - no longer works, but thankfully offers qfx downloads which saved me there!

First National Bank - works with One Step but maybe because there were only 19 transactions...

Schwab - Connects then proceeds to only download the transactions after 11/16/21 in one account, 12/13/21 in the second, and 1/14/22 in the third. There are differing numbers of transactions downloaded to each. Schwab does not offer qfx download, only csv files which Quicken doesn't import from.

This sucks! I have hundreds of transactions to import and organize which is the basic reason for using Quicken. I doesn't make sense how this simple data transfer has gotten so messed up. Data import used to be Quicken's bread and butter!

What do I do now? From the notes it sounds like this problem has been worked on for some time and is still giving people headaches. It's not good when the attempted solution involves a "mondo patch". It is weird that it only partially works. I am mostly interested in a solution for the Schwab transactions for both banking and brokerage. Am I doing something wrong? Should I try ImportQIF as a workaround to use the Schwab CSV files?

Thank you for any suggestions.
    Hello @Murrin

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with downloading transactions. Thank you for getting in contact with us here on the Quicken Community for further discussion and support.

How often do you save backups? Just for future reference, you can save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup Data File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. I recommend doing this as frequently as possible when operating the Quicken software, as it is imperative in preserving your data. 

Would it be possible to restore a backup from just prior to November 16, 2021? You can do this by going to File > Restore a Backup File in the same upper menu mentioned previously. I am interested to hear if this issue persists after performing this step.

I look forward to hearing more from you about this, should you have the chance to drop by the Quicken Community again.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Murrin
    Murrin Member
    Jared,

Thank you for your assistance. Regarding backups, I always perform backups after adding transactions. Following your suggestion, I took the following steps and got the following results:

1) Restored backup dated 5/14/21 which was the last time prior to November 16, 2021 that I added transactions.

2) The new version was sync'd to Quicken Cloud. Checked for Quicken updates and confirmed using current version R38.29 Build 27.1.38.29

3) Disconnected all account online services.

4) Reconnected account online services for Schwab accounts only.

5) Downloaded transactions and got essentially the same result:

Acct 1 - Last transaction prior download - 1/22/21, downloaded date range - 11/16/21 to 2/11/22
    Acct 2 - Last transaction prior download - 1/15/21, downloaded date range - 11/16/21 to 1/18/22
    Acct 3 - Last transaction prior download - 1/25/21, downloaded date range - 11/16/21 to 2/8/22

One note, in my earlier post, I had various beginning dates for the downloaded date range for the different accounts. I looked more closely this time and discovered that the brokerage accounts do not list the downloaded transactions simply chronologically, but apparently by transaction type. So it appears that the downloads are limited to dates on or after 11/16/21 for Schwab, and that restoring an earlier backup does not change the download pattern.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Murrin said:
    Jared,

Thank you for your assistance. Regarding backups, I always perform backups after adding transactions. Following your suggestion, I took the following steps and got the following results:

1) Restored backup dated 5/14/21 which was the last time prior to November 16, 2021 that I added transactions.

2) The new version was sync'd to Quicken Cloud. Checked for Quicken updates and confirmed using current version R38.29 Build 27.1.38.29

3) Disconnected all account online services.

4) Reconnected account online services for Schwab accounts only.

5) Downloaded transactions and got essentially the same result:

Acct 1 - Last transaction prior download - 1/22/21, downloaded date range - 11/16/21 to 2/11/22
    Acct 2 - Last transaction prior download - 1/15/21, downloaded date range - 11/16/21 to 1/18/22
    Acct 3 - Last transaction prior download - 1/25/21, downloaded date range - 11/16/21 to 2/8/22

One note, in my earlier post, I had various beginning dates for the downloaded date range for the different accounts. I looked more closely this time and discovered that the brokerage accounts do not list the downloaded transactions simply chronologically, but apparently by transaction type. So it appears that the downloads are limited to dates on or after 11/16/21 for Schwab, and that restoring an earlier backup does not change the download pattern.
    @Murrin,

Thank you so much for continuing to follow up with me about this problem, and I apologize that it is persisting. I also appreciate the extra detail that is being provided. 

Where is the data file you are operating these accounts within currently located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Be sure that the data file is saved to one of your local drives and is not being stored on a cloud-based service or an external hard drive.

I hope to hear back from you with any updates, and thanks again for corresponding with me about this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Murrin
    Murrin Member
    I run two quicken files for 2 different sets of accounts. The data files are both run from C: drive on my PC Win 10 computer. I backup to a cloud drive, but always run from local drive.

I ran One Step Update this morning and got some odd results:

1) Schwab Checking - Downloaded 2 new transactions that matched the 2 new transactions in the bank's register. Still not downloading transactions that occurred between 1/22/21 and 11/15/21

2) Schwab Brokerage 1 - Downloaded 2 transactions dated 12/15/21 and 1/15/21. The latter is a new transaction since last download, but the last download had spanned the period 11/16/21 to 1/18/22 so getting a transaction dated 12/15/21 is odd. Still missing transactions between 1/15/21 to 11/16/21.

3) Schwab Brokerage 2 - Downloaded 6 transactions dated between 11/29/21 to 1/25/22. Note that prior download covered transactions between 11/16/21 to 2/8/22. Still missing transactions between 1/15/21 to 11/16/21. As you can see for this account all the new downloaded transactions are within the period covered by the last download!

Obviously there is something wrong with the download process...

Some more background. The datafile I am focused on right now has 8 years of transactions and is 30 MB in size. The other data file which I will focus on next has 30 years (started with MS-DOS version) of transactions and is 145 MB in size. I have yet to try One Step with the larger file (I'm afraid) hoping for a fix. The accounts in this file are much more active.

I am now going to start to manually enter missing transactions and reconcile the accounts in the smaller file. Let me know if you can figure out a cause/correction in the meantime.
  • stew
    stew Member
    Murrin,
    I, too, am having problems with One Step Update (OSU) and Schwab accounts. Friday, 2/11/22 quicken support walked me through disabling OSU all Schwab accounts, then re-enabling them. Along with a few other fixes, I was able to update all my Schwab accounts ONE TIME. Since then the OSU stalls out. Subsequent calls to support indicate problems with Quicken schwab server
  • Murrin
    Murrin Member
    Stew,

I am glad to hear that I am not alone. Unfortunately for me is I went through the process you describe and it did not change any behavior with OSU. I did run the process this morning and it took awhile to complete, but as you can read above it gave me what appear to be a few transactions that were missing from the last download.

Just curious, when you say Quicken schwab server is that a Quicken server or a Schwab server?
This discussion has been closed.