Recently - Check Register begins with with voided 1/1/1955 date

MauryJ
MauryJ Member ✭✭
I feel really feel silly asking this, but... This recently showed up in a report. There's no check number or evidence of a transaction. I've seen bizarre dates before, but they are usually caught in a validation, which I did, to no effect. Then I thought I'd just delete it. No big deal, but before I do that, am I overlooking anything? I can't see it affecting anything, but I've been a Quicken user since 1995 & caution is usually rewarded, so... thoughts?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi @MauryJ,

What you are seeing is odd.  That being said, I don't think that deleting the transaction will cause any additional issues.  But I would suggest that you first backup your Quicken file, just in case.

Let me know if you have any additional questions and also how the delete works out.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi @MauryJ,

What you are seeing is odd.  That being said, I don't think that deleting the transaction will cause any additional issues.  But I would suggest that you first backup your Quicken file, just in case.

Let me know if you have any additional questions and also how the delete works out.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• MauryJ
    MauryJ Member ✭✭
    Thanks. Good advice, as I do automated backups on close every "x" times, but good idea none the less
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you recently void a check on purpose?  A check from any date?  Such an action would normally present **VOID** to the front of your pater, change the amount to $0, leave the check number and memo if they were there, and set the Clr status to R. 
    Does your register still balance correctly? 
  • MauryJ
    MauryJ Member ✭✭
    Thanks. No, I didn't recently void a check. I know what that looks like. This is voided with nothing in any of the fields, the amount set to $0, and the date to 1/1/1955. Since it was a $0 amount the check register balances. I deleted it with no consequences. I wouldn't have even known about it had I not tried to do a register report (which defaulted to the entire date range of the register before I set the date boundaries).
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    MauryJ said:
    Thanks. No, I didn't recently void a check. I know what that looks like. This is voided with nothing in any of the fields, the amount set to $0, and the date to 1/1/1955. Since it was a $0 amount the check register balances. I deleted it with no consequences. I wouldn't have even known about it had I not tried to do a register report (which defaulted to the entire date range of the register before I set the date boundaries).
    I don't think this really is a voided transaction in the way that Quicken defines as a voided transaction. It more looks like a blank transaction introduced by data file corruption. Usually I've seen these transaction appear with a 1/1/1900 date.

If you haven't done so already, I'd try the following actions:

Validate and Supervalidate instructions

First save a backup file prior to performing these steps

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Supervalidate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

This discussion has been closed.