How do I close an account in the past? Say 2 years ago...

Greg A
Greg A Member
edited March 2022 in Reports (Mac)
I had previously deleted some brokerage accounts when I transferred them to a new manager. There were years of data. I learned I should have closed them and transfer the value. I have since imported the old data and closed them, however over the last 2 years since they closed they show up in my networth statement. I'd like to close them on a specific date.

Is this possible?

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't think there's a way to automatically exclude all closed accounts from the Net Worth report. The best you could do would be to edit the report and switch from including all accounts to including selected accounts & then uncheck the closed accounts.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    If the account is closed, then presumably it would have a cash and market value of zero. But it seems that's not what is showing in Quicken. You will need to go into the account and figure out if there is still a cash balance (which a balance adjustment can correct) and/or securities still held with >0 shares. For the latter, you'll need to enter Move Shares transactions to zero out the shares and associated market value.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2022
    I currently have 80+ accounts in my Quicken file. Over 60 of them are marked closed & hidden with a 0 balance, but all of them show up in the Net Worth report (with a value of $0).

On some of the other reports showing net worth changes over time it makes sense to include closed accounts so the past values will be correct. But the Net Worth report is just showing current net worth, so including closed accounts makes no sense there.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I may have misunderstood the issue. If they are zero balance and showing up as such in the Net Worth report is annoying, then @Jon's original answer is most appropriate. Another solution would be to mark them as Keep Separate which does exclude them from Net Worth reports with All Accounts selected without the need to customize the report. Putting zero-balance accounts in Keep Separate would not be an issue for most people in most cases.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.