I cannot link my second Citibank credit card

Options
I have had a Citibank credit card for a while, and it uses Express Web Connect to download transactions into Quicken. I recently (2 months or so ago) got a second Citibank credit card. When I try to link the second card, Quicken only finds the first account and only offers me "Don't link" as an option.

I am able to export transactions from the Citibank website for the second card, and the second account shows as linked by Web Connect. However, in order to download transactions I have to log onto the Citibank web site each time, [Removed - Language].

I've tried deactivating both Citibank accounts in Quicken, then trying to connect the second card. Quicken still only finds the first account at Citibank, and lets me link it to the corresponding Quicken account.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try next?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hi @David Meyer

Citi issues many credit cards - is it possible that this second card is Citi branded but might be linked to another entity - like a retailer, website, or otherwise?  Have you tried to add a new account by locating the card in the Quicken "Add Account" routine? Additional info on the details of the second card may help us to help you get it connected.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• David Meyer
    David Meyer Member ✭✭
    Options
    I don't think that's the case. The first card is a Citi Double Cash Rewards card, and the second is a Citi Custom Cash Rewards card. I applied for it at citi.com and that's where I can export transactions from. If any other entity is involved, it would be news to me.

I haven't tried adding a new account, though I will once my computer finishes updating :-).

BTW, I forgot to mention it but I am using (as of today, February 22, 2022) the latest version of Quicken Premier. I'd tell you the exact version but, as I said, my computer is updating.

Thank you for the response, and if the Add Account thing helps I'll let you know.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hi again @David Meyer

Okay, it does sound like it is not a Citi card issued by another entity (retailer, etc.) so based on the additional information I agree you should try the "add as a new account" routine.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• David Meyer
    David Meyer Member ✭✭
    Options
    The "Add Account" dialog boxes are identical to those when I try just linking my existing account. Whether I try it with the first (Double Cash) account still linked, or unlink both accounts first, Quicken only ever finds the first account.

Quicken version is R38.30, just for posterity's sake.

One other bit of information, which may or may not mean anything to anyone. When I link my citi.com accounts using Wealthfront, it does the same thing - it only sees the first (Double Cash) account. However; when I link my citi.com accounts to personalcapital.com, it sees both cards. I guess Personal Capital is either using a different method, or doing something smarter.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @David Meyer

Okay, the only thing I can suggest at this point is that when you begin the "Add Account" routine in Quicken for this account, that you make sure that you are connecting through "www.citi.com" and not through "www.citicards.com".  If you need help with that get back to me.

Frankx

• mmaltar
    mmaltar Unconfirmed ✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I also have lots of problem with my two citi cards (double cash, and Costo) and many of the times they have issues with an error on the  Quicken server..  Like today 
  • David Meyer
    David Meyer Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Frankx Thanks for the suggestion.

I have two Citi options: "Citi Cards" (online.citi.com) and "Citibank" (online.citibank.com). Unfortunately, both behave the same way - they only see the Double Cash card account.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @David Meyer

One last suggestion. When you get to this screen (see below) - click on "Advanced Options" > select "Express Web Connect" > then follow the steps to add the account (keeping your fingers crossed as you do).

Frankx

• David Meyer
    David Meyer Member ✭✭
    Options
    @frankx No luck - exact same result as before (maybe I needed to cross more fingers?). I even tried Direct Connect, but that doesn't seem to work at all.

If you think of anything else, please let me know. If not, thank you for trying.
  • Kathleen Wilber
    Kathleen Wilber Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I had the same problem. I added a Citi Custom Cash card, which was linked to my existing Citi.com account which already had an existing credit card that downloaded just fine into Quicken. Trying to add the new card failed: Quicken would only find one card at Citi, the one that was already set up in Quicken, not the new card.

To get it to work:

I deactivated online services for the existing card, added the new card using the "offline" option, and edited it to put in its card number. Now both cards were in Quicken, both without online services activated. Then I activated one and it went through the process as it had before. This time it found both cards at Citi, and I could link each to its existing instance in Quicken.

If you tried this and it didn't work for you, you might try it again. (Maybe something has been updated in Quicken or at City.)
This discussion has been closed.