Changing Online Services for a Loan Account

David Green
David Green Member ✭✭✭
As part of the Truist online banking switchover a loan I had with Suntrust was moved to Truist online services.  I need to update the account in Quicken to download from Truist.  I backed up my data file and then deactivated the account expecting I could reactivate it, but my options were to delete or close the account.  Is this because it is a loan?  Are online settings for loans treated differently from checking and savings?  I know I have deactivated checking and savings accounts and reactivated them without having to delete anything.  

I have restored from the backup so I am back to where I started. 
Quicken for Windows Premiere
Always the latest version

Comments

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @“David Green”, 

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. For this particular instance I would recommend deactivating the account in question then linking the account by selecting Tools >Add Account. 

Once the account is found select the “add” drop down arrow, click “link to existing account” and pick the appropriate account. 

When you have a moment please attempt these steps and let us know how it goes. If you need assistance or further instructions please let us know. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @“David Green”, 

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. For this particular instance I would recommend deactivating the account in question then linking the account by selecting Tools >Add Account. 

Once the account is found select the “add” drop down arrow, click “link to existing account” and pick the appropriate account. 

When you have a moment please attempt these steps and let us know how it goes. If you need assistance or further instructions please let us know. 

-Quicken Paloma
    I might be wrong about this, but I don’t think this is possible with a loan account setup for downloading.

Loan accounts setup for downloading are “special”.  You can’t deactivate them and then reactivate them.

I suspect what is going to have to happen if one wants to continue having the loan account as one that downloads is that the old account has to be deactivated, which makes it a manual entry loan account, and then zero it out, and then setup the new one as a new account.

The compromise that Quicken made with the downloading of loan accounts is that the user no longer can edit anything in it.  It gets all its information from the download from the financial institution.  As such there isn’t any way that it is going to be able to link to another online loan account.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • David Green
    David Green Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    <editing> to account for @Chris_QPW comments.   That was my experience.  

I deactivated the account and then added a new account.  My options when adding the new account were "Add to Quicken" and "Don't Add to Quicken". there was not an option to link to an existing account.   I  am familiar with that process when working with Checking and Savings accounts.  It isn't an option for Loan accounts.   When I clicked Next quicken created a new account.   I had to delete the other one and set this up as a new account.       
    Quicken for Windows Premiere
    Always the latest version
This discussion has been closed.