Quicken too slow after years of data input

Options
I have been using quicken for 20 plus years. My question is how can I block or backup the last 15 years worth of data so it doesn't slow my normal usage? It takes forever to load and get started because it has to load 20 years of data every time I open the program.

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @realdeal27

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this difficulty. For this particular instance, I would recommend creating a copy of the file with the desired dates. This can be done by selecting File >Copy or Backup File >Create a Copy or Template >Next. A visual example is below. 

On the next popup window, you may select the appropriate dates to include in your file. Once you have chosen the desired dates click Save Copy. Visual example is below. 

Once the file has been copied you will be prompted to choose the copy or original file; select the copy. The original file containing all the other data can be kept for reference. 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FWIW, the number of years of data has little effect on speed unless you have thousands of investment transactions. Just be aware that once you split your Quicken data file, it's extremely hard to put back to together again. I have transaction going back to 1985 and don't have any speed issues. What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup? 
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • realdeal27
    Options
    Thanks, I don't know what happened, but now I am unable to back up to my thumb drive. I hit cntrl b, then backup, it keeps coming back "file not backed up". I even deleted my old backup file so there would be enough room on it! Help!
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, I don't know what happened, but now I am unable to back up to my thumb drive. I hit cntrl b, then backup, it keeps coming back "file not backed up". I even deleted my old backup file so there would be enough room on it! Help!
    This seems to indicate that your active Quicken data file is damaged.
    Please perform a Validate and Supervalidate action, as described in

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

If that doesn't resolve the issue, restore your Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not exhibit these symptoms.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

This discussion has been closed.