None of my accounts are able to retain a connection linkage to the bank/brokerage.

I have 12 accounts in Quicken. None of which will maintain a link to their source banking or brokerage accounts. For any account going to “Edit account details”-Online service tab-Reset account or Deactivate and redo link will download transactions to the account ONE time. After that, going to “Update now” or “update transactions” for any account shows the dialog box “One Step Update Settings”. The “Update now” button is greyed out and not functional. All this happens for checking, CDs, savings, and loan accounts at my bank. It also happens for five brokerage accounts, and one Visa account. The brokerage accounts show on their web pages they are linked to Quicken but data is not downloaded. What is the fix for this please? My version is R38.30.

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW - so this is for all different places.....
    Could you bring up your --> Tools --> Account List -
    and tell us the types of "Transaction Download" protocols listed -
    there is Direct Connect & Express Web Connect ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• sdurrance
    sdurrance Member ✭✭
    One has Direct Connect. All others are Express Web Connect.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    sdurrance said:
    One has Direct Connect. All others are Express Web Connect.
    Hello @sdurrance,

I am sorry that you are being affected by these connection issues. Thank you so much for getting in contact with the Quicken Community and providing us with additional information about the situation.

Have you tried validating the data file you are using? First, save a backup by going to File > Copy or Restore Backup in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Next, follow these instructions listed below, in order:

1. Click File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Click Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    Let me us know about your results after attempting these steps, if you should have the opportunity to check in with us once more.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• sdurrance
    sdurrance Member ✭✭
    Followed your instructions. After closing Quicken and restart, all but three accts linked and downloaded. I even let Quicken make new accts for two accts that had not linked before and transactions were downloaded. Closed Quicken again.

Restarted Quicken. None of the accts would link. Not even the new accts I allowed Quicken to create. All accts are behaving as described in my Mar 1 post. Ran another Validate and Repair File. Still no links to accts.

Tried to reset a loan acct which didn't link. Acct wouldn't reset because Quicken says "cannot be reset because there are downloaded transactions that must be accepted into the account register or transactions list. Finish accepting the downloaded transactions, and try again." There is no list of transactions at the bottom of the screen to accept. Going to menu "Edit, transaction" I don't see anything that appears to allow me to accept these transactions. How do I do this to be able to reset acct?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @sdurrance,

Where is your Quicken datafile located on your computer - specifically is it located in your "Documents" folder?  And do you have One Drive setup for automatic backup of your "Documents" folder?

If the answer to the above questions are "yes", it is possible that One Drive's automatic backups are causing your problems.  To fix that, I suggest that you move your Quicken datafile (permanently) to another folder on your C drive that is NOT a folder that is subject to any automatic backup process. 

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• sdurrance
    sdurrance Member ✭✭
    My Quicken datafile is not in the "Documents" folder. It is in a set of folders I can backup myself with a few clicks. I also make backups in Quicken every time I use it. I also have two external HDs which I backup to daily with incremental backups and monthly with full backups with a program specifically made for periodic backups. The backups had not run yet when I redid the Validate and Repair File steps.
  • sdurrance
    sdurrance Member ✭✭
    I would appreciate any further help with this problem.
  • Quicken Jared
    sdurrance said:
    My Quicken datafile is not in the "Documents" folder. It is in a set of folders I can backup myself with a few clicks. I also make backups in Quicken every time I use it. I also have two external HDs which I backup to daily with incremental backups and monthly with full backups with a program specifically made for periodic backups. The backups had not run yet when I redid the Validate and Repair File steps.
    @sdurrance

I am sorry to hear that you are still being affected by this issue. Thank you for continuing to work with us so patiently on this.

Where is your current active data file located, as of now? It sounds as though it is either being moved between a few locations, or multiple backups are currently in use. You can check the location of the data file you are currently operating within by going to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen.

I look forward to hearing more from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • sdurrance
    sdurrance Member ✭✭
    My active data file as shown from "File>Show this file on my computer" is located with all the Quicken backup files. My active data file is named Qdata.QDF; File Type "Quicken QDF data file". When I open Quicken two other files are created qdata_SyncLog.dat and QdataOFXLOG.DAT. Both are File Type "NCH.VideoPad.dat".
    All three files have the same date and time when Quicken is opened. When I close the active file Qdata.QDF it shows the date and new time as of closing. The other two files show only the initial file opening date and time. Are the two .dat files suppose to update when closing the master file? All other files in the folder show File Type "Quicken QDF backup data file".
  • Quicken Jared
    sdurrance said:
    My active data file as shown from "File>Show this file on my computer" is located with all the Quicken backup files. My active data file is named Qdata.QDF; File Type "Quicken QDF data file". When I open Quicken two other files are created qdata_SyncLog.dat and QdataOFXLOG.DAT. Both are File Type "NCH.VideoPad.dat".
    All three files have the same date and time when Quicken is opened. When I close the active file Qdata.QDF it shows the date and new time as of closing. The other two files show only the initial file opening date and time. Are the two .dat files suppose to update when closing the master file? All other files in the folder show File Type "Quicken QDF backup data file".
    @sdurrance

Thank you for following up with me once more about this issue. 

The other two files sound like log files, and it is normal for them to update when Quicken is in use. I want to know whether or not the data file, itself, is located on the local computer, however. 

Provided that the data file is located on your computer and not a cloud-based storage service, or something of the like, I recommend running the steps provided below in order to supervalidate the file. First save a backup, then follow the succeeding instructions:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Click Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I look forward to hearing more of your answers and your results, after attempting the aforementioned supervalidation.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @sdurrance,

We actually need to know the specific location of the datafile - the path such as

C:\users\desktop\steve\steveQfile.qdf

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    sdurrance said: My active data file as shown from "File>Show this file on my computer" is located with all the Quicken backup files. My active data file is named Qdata.QDF; File Type "Quicken QDF data file". When I open Quicken two other files are created qdata_SyncLog.dat and QdataOFXLOG.DAT. Both are File Type "NCH.VideoPad.dat".
    As mentioned - what is the full path name to your Quicken QDF file - C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Quicken-Files\
    You changed things from the normal \quicken files\ and the sub folder \backup\ so everything is in a single folder ?
    As you can see - with this normal default structure - you can grab and backup the entire \Quicken Files\ folder all together.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• sdurrance
    sdurrance Member ✭✭
    The path for my active QDF file is
    C:\MyDocuments & Scanning\CommonData\Quicken\QuickenBackup
  • Quicken Jared
    edited March 2022
    sdurrance said:
    The path for my active QDF file is
    C:\MyDocuments & Scanning\CommonData\Quicken\QuickenBackup
    Hello @sdurrance

Thank you for getting back to us with more information about the file location, and also for providing that screenshot.

Were you able to attempt the supervalidation step mentioned previously? If you are still experiencing issues, save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... and then go through the steps provided below in order to copy your data file:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Click Copy or Backup File...
    3. Select Create a copy or template...
    4. Click Next
    5. Select Save Copy
    6. Select New Copy
    7. Click Ok

Once the data file has been copied, I recommend validating the newly created copy and then supervalidating it, as well. 

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect up all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward as the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

I look forward to hearing more from you about the situation, if you are able to check back in with us once again.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • sdurrance
    sdurrance Member ✭✭
    After doing the Super Validate File I got the CC-800 error shown in attachment. There are nine accts with the symbol which are old CDs with a balance of zero whose balances were entered into new CD accts and the old accts closed. These accts with the symbol are in the same bank and are listed under the SEPARATE category in the accts list on the right of the screen.
    The attached dialog box says to add these accts again. Not sure what that means since the accts were closed. Opening an acct only shows no transactions and balance of zero. Do I delete the accts from the Account List to resolve CC-800 error?
    Also, as before the brokerage accts could be relinked and worked after doing the Super Validate File. But, after closing Quicken and reopening Quicken the links for none of the brokerage accts kept.
    My VISA acct has never been able to link after any of the Validate procedures. It keeps asking for a password which I have entered for my internet login. If I go to Tools/Password Vault/Add or Edit Passwords… all the buttons are greyed out (see attachment). Why can’t I add or edit passwords?
    I have data in accts back to the 80s. Links to accts for Quicken has worked for over 30 years until I got Quicken Premier which worked for awhile and then stopped working after software updates.
  • sdurrance
    sdurrance Member ✭✭
    Followed your instructions for New Copy which appeared to work. Did a Validate and Super Validate on the New Copy. Three banking accts kept their link and worked after closing and reopening Quicken. However, when I tried to individually link four brokerage accts, the program freezes and the Quicken screen goes gray like it does right before the "Set up Now" dialog box pops up, but doesn't. Only way to exit Quicken is Task Manager/End Task.
This discussion has been closed.