Tax planner will not retain 'Scheduled Bills and Deposits' setting

In the tax planner for wages and withholding, the tax planner defaults to 'Estimate based on YTD average', which is not what I want. I switch the values to 'Scheduled Bills and Deposits' and everything looks good, but when I close out of the tax planner, it reverts to all the default values and the numbers are way off. If I reopen the tax planner, it's back to all the default values for wages and witholding. For most of the other categories like deductions, I use 'Other' because I know what those will be, and it holds all those settings just fine. How do I fix this?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    In the tax planner for wages and withholding, the tax planner defaults to 'Estimate based on YTD average', which is not what I want. I switch the values to 'Scheduled Bills and Deposits' and everything looks good, but when I close out of the tax planner, it reverts to all the default values and the numbers are way off. If I reopen the tax planner, it's back to all the default values for wages and witholding. For most of the other categories like deductions, I use 'Other' because I know what those will be, and it holds all those settings just fine. How do I fix this?
    Hello @Matt McGhee 75033,  

I am sorry to hear about this problem with tax planner customization reverting to default settings. Thank you for taking the time to discuss this with us here on the Quicken Community.

What version of Quicken are you using? You can check this by going to Help > About Quicken in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. 

Also, are you saving backups regularly? You can do this anytime by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. We recommend doing this frequently, as this is a vital step in preserving your data and can help in a number of situations. You can restore a backup by going to the same menu and click File > Restore a Backup File. Would it be possible to restore from a backup that was saved prior to when you first noticed this issue occurring? If so, I am interested in the results of attempting this.

I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Hi Jared, thanks for your reply and help. I am running version R38.30, build 27.1.38.30. I've been noticing it for several months, just now finally got around to posting, so I am reluctant to restore from a backup that old.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Jared, thanks for your reply and help. I am running version R38.30, build 27.1.38.30. I've been noticing it for several months, just now finally got around to posting, so I am reluctant to restore from a backup that old.
    Hello @Matt McGhee 75033

Thank you for keeping in contact and working with me on this; I am happy to help. I am sorry that the problem seems to be ongoing.

Where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer. I have additional suggestions once this has been confirmed. 

I look forward to hearing more from you, and I intend to keep following up with you about this, should you have the chance to check back in with us here on the Quicken Community.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Generally, running a file validation or super-validation will clear it up. If it is only one reminder misbehaving, try deleting the reminder and re-entering it.
  • RogC
    RogC Member ✭✭
    I have this same issue. Validating file doesn't help and it doesn't seem related to any reminder problems. I can set 'Scheduled Bills and Deposits' on both the Wages and Withholding sections and all the calculated values look perfect. However as soon as I close the Tax Planner those settings revert to the default 'Estimate Based on YTD Daily Average'.
  • SomebodyInGNV
    SomebodyInGNV Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    @RogC Did you tab off the field on that page, and move off that page by clicking the "next" link at the bottom, before closing the window? My tax planner has been flaky like you describe in the past. Migrating through the pages reduced the frequency but didn't fix it. I've had no problem recently. I don't know why it didn't work and why it works now.
  • RogC
    RogC Member ✭✭
    Thank you SomebodyInGNV, it was a good suggestion to try but didn't make a difference. For now, I've settled on using the manual input line and putting in there the numbers that would be in effect if the scheduled option would stick. The manual checkbox sticks so it isn't perfect but only needs updated if something changes in income/withholding.

In case it helps anyone else... In February I had a substantial bonus plus a bunch of restricted stock units vest. That seems to confuse quicken that it then wants to base the rest of the year off the daily average. I loaded a backup from just before the higher-than-normal income period. There was no problem with the tax planner until I put in the bonus and RSU vesting and then the same issue occurred.
This discussion has been closed.