Budget - "Include Reminder" are off, but still always see negative amounts

Options
James J
James J Member ✭✭✭
I include just my net salary in my budget.  That works fine.

And I have the "Include Reminders" option deselected.

But every month, I see a negative amount for the balance of my net salary line item until the money actual comes in.  It looks like, as soon as the month starts, Quicken is automatically entering an "actual" amount for my net salary that month - and that "actual" is for the month's entire salary, even though I have not gotten the money yet.

Why is Quicken entering an "actual" value when I "actually" have not received that money yet?  Is there a way to stop the madness?

Best Answer

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken is not automatically entering an actual amount.  What is happening is when the new month starts there is a budget amount for that month but no actual amounts yet.  That results in the negative "balance" amount.  This is totally normal.   If you have a reminder for your salary and include the reminders in the budget then you will not see this negative amount in the balance.  This works the same way as the budgets for expenses except that the balance starts out as a positive and decreases as expenses hit that category during the month. 

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken is not automatically entering an actual amount.  What is happening is when the new month starts there is a budget amount for that month but no actual amounts yet.  That results in the negative "balance" amount.  This is totally normal.   If you have a reminder for your salary and include the reminders in the budget then you will not see this negative amount in the balance.  This works the same way as the budgets for expenses except that the balance starts out as a positive and decreases as expenses hit that category during the month. 

This discussion has been closed.