Tracking 2nd person on one PC.

I have been tracking my own finances in Quicken for many years. Now I want to help an older relative track his finances. His finances are totally separate from mine. It will all be on my PC, and he will not be accessing it at all.
To do this, do I just create a separate file for the other person, and just make sure I'm always using the correct file?
When I go through File menu and open other file, will it automatically close the first file?

Thanks

Best Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Yes, just create a new file.  Quicken does not have the capability to have two files open at the same time so it will automatically close any other file you have open.

I used to keep a file for an elderly relative and what I did was to put a link to each of the data files on my desktop.  Using the particular link opens that file no matter what file was last opened in Quicken.  I found this to be the best way to handle going back and forth between two data files.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    and.... the NAME of the currently open file is displayed in the far upper left corner of the Quicken screen

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Yes, just create a new file.  Quicken does not have the capability to have two files open at the same time so it will automatically close any other file you have open.

I used to keep a file for an elderly relative and what I did was to put a link to each of the data files on my desktop.  Using the particular link opens that file no matter what file was last opened in Quicken.  I found this to be the best way to handle going back and forth between two data files.
  • Johnny Row
    Johnny Row Member ✭✭
    Thanks much. That's what I was hoping to hear.
  • Johnny Row
    Johnny Row Member ✭✭
    And good tip on 2 links.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    and.... the NAME of the currently open file is displayed in the far upper left corner of the Quicken screen

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.