Register Running Balance Different than Ending Balance

Denbarry
Denbarry Member ✭✭
I performed an end of year clean up and everything was OK. After the last 2 updates my checking account register running balance has been lower than the account ending balance. Each transaction balance is off by a little bit. For example, my opening balance was $3307.72, the first transaction was for $1604.33 with a running balance of $4916.67. It should be $4912. 05. This happens only in my checking account register.
Tagged:

Comments

• James Nail
    James Nail Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue after the last update to the program (not data). Current balance is about 30,000 higher than running balance (after I made an adjustment to the account opening balance). I made the adjustment so the running balance would be correct. But now the Current and Ending Balances are 30,000 high. Whatever the last program update did messed up some account that is a transfer in or out of the account that is way off I think. I did notice a bizarre named new account that was created. I do not know how to fix this.
  • DSSs
    DSSs Member
    I have same issue from update were now checking account register running balance is not the actual ending balance.
  • GB
    GB Member ✭✭
    I have same issue...
  • plaroujr
    plaroujr Member ✭✭
    I recently up-dated to version 39.23. After doing so, my checking account balance is correct in the account balance summery column but the balance that shows up in the account detail is way off...like $300,00.00+. All my other accounts are ok. Has anyone run into this problem? If so, what is the fix for it? I was hoping that the up-date just released would fix it but it did not. Thank you for your help!
  • Scott Gil
    Scott Gil Member
    I have the same issue only on my checking account too after the last update. Rest of accounts run fine but only checking. Was on with tech support for two hours running through a mulititude of potential fixes yesterday March 15, 2022. In the end it is the software update and the tech John who was helpful said we would have to wait for an update from quicken after he escalated it.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please verify that:
    • the register is correctly sorted by Date in ascending order (Date column header shows a small triangle pointing up)
    • the row of filter selections is Reset to show "All Dates, Any Type, All Transactions"
    • the Search box is not active (shows "Search" and a magnifying glass). If it shows some text and an "X" at the right edge click the "X" to exit Search mode.
    What is your selection for the Account Bar? "Show ending balance" or "Show current balance in Account Bar"?

• Denbarry
    Denbarry Member ✭✭
    Yes I am correctly sorted with no search active. Account Bar selection is left with cents. It is showing current balance, which is correct. The bottom of the register shows Online Balance (correct), Current Balance (correct) and Ending Balance (correct). The register balance is off and it occurred during two different deposits transactions. One that put it off by $4.24 and the the second that put it off by $58.85. The register balance has been off by that amount for the last couple of weeks.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you gone back in time (in the register, not in reality, I mean) and checked to see where your Running Balance is beginning to deviate from the bank statements? For example, the bank's month end statement balance matches your register at the end of December, but is off by one of the amounts at the end of January. That means, in January you are either missing or have a duplicate transaction. Make the necessary correction and discard any balance adjustment transactions you may have made already.
    It's possible that this discrepancy occurred many months ago, due to a change you made somewhere, perhaps accidentally to an older transaction. Or Mr. Murphy came by and helped mess things up ...
  • Denbarry
    Denbarry Member ✭✭
    I have. What made this stick out was that after the update the register went wacko. I have balanced my account to the statement twice before the update that caused the the imbalance. This is strictly a register computation issue.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Denbarry, If I may summarize your initial post and last comment correctly: You are certain that your register, transactions and balances were all correct prior to the last two updates without issues, right?
    If so I wonder if you can recover from this issue by restoring one of your pre-update backup files and re-downloading the transactions.  Assuming you made regular backups.  (make sure you backup your today's file first)
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Denbarry
    Denbarry Member ✭✭
    I will do that and post an update. BTW this is for a Premier Subscription, not Deluxe. I upgraded last November.
  • Scott Gil
    Scott Gil Member
    To add to conversations I restored backups to over a year ago (have had no Quicken issues) with tech support yesterday and each of the backups had the same issue in checking register. Its a software upgrade issue.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    I doubt the edition matters in this case.  Last November?  (I had assumed the past few weeks)
    The issue with that is that you may not be able to re-download all of your transactions going back to Nov/Dec/Jan etc.  You see, some institutions give you only about 30-90 days worth of transactions.  But you might be able to do a manual export from their website and import to Quicken.  This is getting more complicated.  If it does not workout, you can revert back to your today's backup at least.

• Denbarry
    Denbarry Member ✭✭
    Sorry, you misunderstand. I upgraded in November, did an end of year at the end of January. I just restored from a March 1st manual backup and downloaded all of my transactions. The register entries now match correctly. Something happened during the transfer of data between R38.30 and R39.21. Just for fun I restored the backup I just made and the error returned. I have gone back to my March 1 file and will use that from now on.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Denbarry , Glad things worked out and thanks for the update.

• tt31922
    tt31922 Member
    I transferred my data between R38.30 and R39.21 in July 2021. After that, my checking account and credit card stopped updating through One Step Update. My checking account had vital business transactions dating back to 7/13/2006. I had to manually export the data, from these accounts, to a .QFX file and import into quicken. I tried to reactivate these accounts to use Direct Connect instead of the old Express Web Connect. When I ran One Step Update, my checking account balance showed large negative balances going back to 2006. My ending balance now shows -$6,259.87 which is about $23,000 less than the online balance. The tech support at the bank kept making it worse by changing user name to different random names numerous times. Does anyone have any idea what just happened?
This discussion has been closed.